Saturday, August 28, 2010

Summer Stock Sunday - Harbor Seals!

.
.
After years of going to places where seals should have been, I finally got my chance to see harbor seals in the wild on a rock just off Walker Point (famous as the site of George Bush Sr.'s summer house) in Kennebunkport, Maine. Only a few were actually swimming but what a sight they all were lounging on the rock, soaking up the summer sun. We were out on a lobster boat (a shtick for the tourists, but fun and pretty interesting too) and couldn't get close enough for a better photo without frightening them but still, seals! So cool.


.
We got back last night and are still horrifically jetlagged (I slept for a grand total of about 45 minutes over the course of both flights and then came home and slept for 15 hours straight, at this rate I should be reacclimated by about October). Jay heads back to work tomorrow, I have a few projects that need to be dealt with, Itai's got rehearsals for some school ceremony tomorrow morning, I need to get Maya in for a visit to her new school since she missed the orientation, the air conditioning is broken and the tech is supposed to show up tomorrow morning (and holy crap it's hot in here) and there are a zillion other errands that need to get run and things that need to be dealt with, but we're home and school starts Wednesday morning so one way or another I WILL be around to visit everyone's blogs this week!

Happy end of August, just a few more weeks of Summer Stock to go.



.

14 comments:

RoeH said...

I love watching seals. They're kind of like big blogs on rocks. And the stinketh MUCH but fun to watch.

Anonymous said...

Hope you get over the jetlag very soon. Nice shot!

Gattina said...

What a nice picture of the seals all sitting together ! I have seen lots of them at the bay of San Francisco, otherwise only in zoos, lol ! So you are back home too, but at least it's still summer weather if you need an airconditioner ! I put the heating on today for the first time ! It was too humid and cold to sit around.

Daryl said...

Welcome home ... no rush to visit, we will all be here!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I've seen a few harbour seals here in Halifax and one in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia since we moved back in 1999. I can honestly say that while growing up here in the 70's and 80's, there was not a seal to be found. It seems that all of our conservation efforts are making a difference!

quilly said...

Nice! We get harbor seals around here from time-to-time, but I have never seen any out of the water. I did get my first photos of dolphins when we were in Hawaii this summer. Amoeba and I were enjoying breakfast on the lanai and the dolphins were leaping and playing in the Kailua-Kona harbor.

judi/Gmj said...

welcome back, glad you are safe if lagged to the max.

Mojo said...

I see what you mean about "killer jet lag". But for a shot like this? I'd do it. And I'd do it again.

Terri said...

Glad you are home safe and sound Robin!

Shannara said...

I'd love to see some seals in the wild...

have a nice week!

bichonpawz said...

So glad to hear that you had a safe trip back home! What a beautiful shot of the seals!! I've never seen them and would really like to. Sure hope your jetlag improves...as well as the A/C!!!

Jill said...

Shalom! Welcome home - so glad you had a great trip! Hope all goes well with school these next few weeks. Thinking of you!!!!

Leora said...

I so want to go to Maine next summer. Let's see if I can convince the hubby to make the drive. Love your harbor seals lounging about. I should take lessons from them.

Janet said...

I saw a ton of seals frolicking in the wild surf at Chatham Saturday...no sharks, phew! But there was a NECN van parked nearby...just in case.