All these dark, wet, miserable days we've been having this winter have put me into the worst creative photography slump I've seen in quite a while. Photography is all about light and the lack of light we've had lately has had me feeling the darkness pressing down on my soul like a palpable weight. It's incredible how much my psyche is affected by the weather, I can't imagine how I'd cope if I lived in a region with real winters and real darkness. For that matter, I haven't the faintest idea how I survived 20 years of New York winters, I can't bear the thought of living through one now.
Since the lovely and ubertalented (seriously - check out her gorgeous handmade cards!) Lisa from Handmade in Israel (and treasure hunting partner extraordinaire) generously tagged me with the Versatile Blogger award I figured I'd show that versatility by doing a post with no images, only words (fancy that!) in the hopes that getting a new post up there would do its part to jump start my creative muses...
So here goes, seven things about me that you might not know...
1. I received my new sewing machine on Thursday and since then have been engrossed in teaching myself to sew.
2. Since then I managed to make one small tote bag (which I'm using for my sewing supplies), a "wrinkly" peasant-type maxi skirt that I'm really pleased with (following this tutorial), next up was this maxi skirt in a light gray jersey (which turned out great but unfortunately makes me look like an overweight turnip, not sure what's going to be with that one. Best alternative would be to lose the hips, not the skirt, but we'll see how it goes...) and finally a pair of what can only be (very charitably) called a pair of light green pajama bottoms - comfortable but awful looking and will never ever EVER see daylight. I was aiming for wide leg pants, let's just say that pants have a much steeper learning curve and a LOT more logistical challenges and then we shall never speak of them again...
3. If I can manage to pull it off and do a good enough job I'm hoping to make one more skirt this week, out of a very cool black and white print fabric, that I can wear to my friends' son's bar mitzvah this weekend. If it doesn't work out I think I'll go for the wrinkly one, services here are fairly casual and I won't need a skirt for the party the following evening.
4. It sort of blows my mind that I might actually appear in public in something I made, since until this weekend I could barely sew on a button. I think my seamstress grandmother would have been quite proud (and then quietly horrified at the uneven stitching, but nevermind, I'm improving as I go).
5. I'll share photos of my creations (all except the dreaded green pants) if the damn sun ever comes out again.
6. If we do get a sunny day this week I am determined to get outside with my camera, enough is enough already, this weather is causing me to miss all the wildflowers!
7. In an effort to get healthier (and lose the turnip hips!) I made a HUGE vat of vegetable soup yesterday. I'm hoping that the peanuts I'm currently snarfing won't cancel that out. They're also very salty, which I'm not supposed to be doing either. I wonder if drinking a few giant glasses of water would flush out the salt a bit?
Hey, what do you know, I hit seven. So there you go. Nothing earthshaking, but it's what's going on in my little corner of the blogosphere today.
Instead of tagging anyone, how about I just invite whoever wants to to play along, and to let me know if you do.
Ooooh! Is that a tiny little ray of sunshine I see peaking out from the evil dark gray clouds? Fingers crossed!