Sunday, April 12, 2009

Gooey Geyser

.
.
Click to enlarge
.
(Sorry for the scarce posting, my folks are here for another week. We're having a great time but it's not leaving me much chance for blogging.)
.
This was actually a fairly icky sweet and sticky but not at all gooey geyser, but Maya had a very well-developed obsession with Dora the Explorer when she was younger so geysers are inevitably tied with the word gooey in my mind now.
.
My parents brought over a kit (basically just a plastic tube, a string, and a package of mentos) to do the famous " exploding diet soda" experiments, and much fun was had by all. We've already exploded several bottles of diet soda and will probably have to do more once more mentos can be procured (i.e. once I remember to buy them).
.
A very happy Easter to all who are celebrating today.
.

13 comments:

Jientje said...

It looks like fun though!!
Enjoy your partents, Robin!!
I'm going to see mine tomorrow, it's my father's birthday!

josie2shoes said...

This looks like great fun, and I'm delighted your kids have this chance to be with their grandparents. I'm sure it's enjoyed by all!

Libby's Library said...

Hubby wants to do this with a bunch of the grand sons this summer! Hope you enjoy the time with your family.

Mojo said...

Actually if I'm not mistaken it doesn't have to be diet soda -- or even sticky. Just carbonated. The reaction has to do with the formation of bubbles and surface tension and a bunch of other scientific sh... er, stuff I don't understand. But it's a physical reaction, not a chemical one so you could probably accomplish the same thing with club soda -- and with a lot less mess.

Hey, you could always try it, call it an experiment and if it doesn't work do back to blowing up Diet Pepsi.

Robin said...

I'm actually planning on trying seltzer next. The package did say that diet soda is less messy than regular soda though - apparently all that sugar really sticks. Makes me not want to think about what it must do to your insides ;-).

Anonymous said...

How fun, I have to remember to do that for my granddaughter!

Tina - omme i London said...

LOL - I love doing things like that; great fun for the kids too.

This Eclectic Life said...

It looks like fun, but is a waste of Mentos!! Love those things.

Daryl said...

What a fun way to spend time ...

Jill said...

Have a great time with your parents in town!!

betty-NZ said...

Such an interesting subject! Thanks for sharing with us.

followthatdog said...

Very cool. My 5 year old is sitting next to me as I read this and just asked "mama, what IS that?" looks like we will have one in our future.

Shannon said...

So fun! I want to make a gooey geyser too. Looks like a super fun visit!