It's another "five ingredients or less" WFMW at Rocks in My Dryer this week, so what better to share than this amazing, and amazingly simple, asparagus recipe. It was so good that half the dish never even made it to the table! My husband and I couldn't keep our hands off it and devoured the lion's share straight out of the bowl while I finished cooking dinner. Even better, it can be served either warm or at room temperature, so there's no last minute rush.
Since this dish is so simple it's worth using the very best quality ingredients you can find.
1 bunch of very fresh asparagus
2 Tbl freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbl high quality olive oil
2 tsp lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste (preferably sea salt and freshly ground pepper)
- Put up a pot of water to boil.
- Wash asparagus and snap off the tougher bottom bit of the stalk. Don't worry, it will break naturally at the right spot.
- Cut into 2-inch (5cm) pieces.
- Boil for just two minutes.
- Toss cooked asparagus with all the other ingredients.
- Try not to eat it all before you sit down to dinner.
That's it. Couldn't be easier.
Tip: Store fresh asparagus upright in the fridge in a container of water to keep them fresher longer.
I don't remember where I came across this recipe, but if anyone out there does let me know and I'll be happy to give credit where it's due. The photo is mine - those very asparagus are going to be prepared this way and consumed very soon. Tonight for dinner, or if I can't help myself this afternoon for my lunch - where I will scarf them all down by myself without having to share. So there!