Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
I've decided to give the Thursday Thirteen bandwagon a whirl. Since I'm a lactation consultant and a LLL leader, I figured what would be more appropriate than making my introductory Thursday Thirteen about why I'm passionate about helping moms and babies to breastfeed.
1. I had such an incredible experience breastfeeding my two children that I wanted to help as many others as I could to experience their own joy.
2. There's nothing in the world like that milk-drunk smile your baby gives you as he's drifting off to sleep.
3. I feel strongly that mothers today are not given the support that they need and deserve to succeed at breastfeeding. I want to do my small part to change that.
4. It's easy!
5. And if it's not, someone like me can help.
6. It's free!
7. It's portable! The baby is able to be a part of your life, not a burden tying you down. No worrying about bottles, whether you brought enough, the availability of clean water...
8. Because too many mothers think breastfeeding has to be difficult and painful - it doesn't, and it shouldn't be. If it is, PLEASE seek help. Things CAN get better. If you need help and don't know where to turn, let me know and I'll help you find it.
9. It's the perfect food for your baby - designed for baby humans, not baby cows.
10. It's healthier for YOUR body too. Extended breastfeeding actually lowers your risk of developing breast cancer.
11. It promotes a strong, loving, involved bond between a mother and her baby.
12. It gives your baby protection against diseases in both the short and long-term that they can't get anywhere else.
13. Because it's wrong to see mothers beaten down by societal, family and other pressures and not do anything to empower them to make their own decisions, from a position of knowledge and strength.
(And if I were going to do a number 14, I'd add "because it gave me bigger boobs", but that would make me seem shallow. So I won't.)