Monday, November 2, 2009

It's raining, it's pouring

Yes, it most certainly is. Raining cats and dogs that is. So much so that I'm fairly sure I just saw a golden retriever go by outside my window, sodden paws flailing. Israel is still in the midst of our first really big storm of the season. It's not too cold yet but we're getting rain and wind and thunder and lightning galore and my broken pergola cover is starting to make that horrible flapping about to take flight sound again. (Note to self: call the guy who's been promising to fix it for the past month, again.) It's hard to imagine that just a few days ago everyone was sweating in shorts and now, just like that, summer is gone.

The kids were packed off to school this morning with jackets and umbrellas and the sandals have been banished to the back of the shoe drawer. They (the kids, not the sandals) were even driven to school this morning - by my normally bike-commuting husband. I took one look at the pouring rain and offered him the car, he accepted grudgingly, and then didn't even get wet on the way to work. Now he's aggravated that he left the bike home and sat in traffic and I'm aggravated that I have no car and have to do all the afternoon kid-ferrying, and there's a fair amount of it today, by taxi. Can't win for losing.

On the bright(er) side we really do need the rain - I may gripe but the rest of the country is out there rejoicing, and rightfully so - and since I work from home I don't actually have to go out in it until this afternoon, and best of all I've got a great big hunk of meat in the crockpot slowly turning itself into bbq sandwiches and smelling incredible. Even better than best? I can send my kid downstairs to the bakery to pick up the rolls - he'll be happy to do it and I'll be happy to stay warm and dry.

And now the power is flickering. Great. Just great.

Is it summertime yet?

Speaking of rain, have you seen that Grace over at Sandier Pastures is having a contest to guess when Dubai will receive it's first rains of the season? Be sure to check it out and place your own guess.
.

14 comments:

Grace @ Sandier Pastures said...

Oh well, we would like to have some of that rain! Thanks for the shoutout Robin! Hope to see some bloggy friends of yours visiting my blog and placing the bets. :-)

RivkA with a capital A said...

The weather has been so fickle, I have been hesitant to pack up my sandals.

That really is the final admission that winter is really here.

*sigh* -- with everyone sick with the flu, we didn't take down our succah in time....

Dina said...

No rain around Jerusalem yet today.
I am waiting for word from the archaeologist in Tiberias when we can come back and start the final week of the dig. Our site is like mud pits now.
You're right. How did we ever complain about summer?

Jael said...

I love the fact that it is raining,finally! I really prefer the Israeli winter to the hot hot summer...too bad the winter is so short!

Bengbeng said...

i love the rain mainly bcos the plants need them n it cools the place down

Mojo said...

We've been getting a fair amount of rain this fall so far, which is unusual for this area. Usually the fall is our driest season. I'm not complaining though.

Yet.

Phyllis Sommer said...

the sun is shining, the sky is blue, and it's very chilly...we have had a ton of rain (like almost all of sukkot and seemed like all last month) so i'm overjoyed to see the sun, if only for today.

hang in there...this too shall pass.

kayerj said...

I'm sure the storm will be brief. I like rainy days because then the kids stay inside and I can catch up a little.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Hey, we saw snow a few weeks ago! I love snow, but just not ready for it yet. Gimmee rain for now!

Daryl said...

Some days you just cannot win.

I listened to the weather report this morning to decide which jacket to wear, temps were in the high 40s. On the bus I got lost in thought and looked up to see a woman get on with her umbrella dripping .. WHAT THE ... ? I look out the window and its POURING! Sun is shining and its pouring .. and there was no mention of this at all on the weather report .. OY!

day by day said...

we have had lots of rain here, too. not too much fun! I am with you...is it summer, yet? lol

~Michelle

quilly said...

Amoeba usually bikes to work (8 miles one way)but this morning he asked me to take him (that way I get to keep the car) because it was going to rain. I looked at the bright blue sky and thought he was just slacking, but no -- it's pouring now.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Did the power stay on?

Robin said...

Yes, but it's been pouring all freaking day.