Saturday, August 14, 2010

Summer Stock Sunday - Children of the Corn

.
.
The service organization my mother belongs to has been getting together to pick fruits and vegetables that would otherwise go to waste from local farms and deliver them to local food pantries. Itai, Maya and my niece Rachel joined in for the last picking expedition - the corn was taller than they were! Heck, the corn was taller than I was, as I quickly discovered when I went into the cornfield to find two very overtired little girls and rescue them bring them back home while my mom and Itai continued picking and then went on to deliver the goods. (Funny, they both perked up as soon as they hit the air-conditioned car...)


Not only does this particular farm grow some of the sweetest corn around, it was also full of very photogenic old barns, outbuilding, and even fields of flowers - I could have shot there for hours if I didn't have two extraordinarily hot and grumpy very cute little girls to bring home.





We're still having a great time in New Hampshire (and still not getting much computer time) - Jay arrived a few days ago (finally!) and his sister and her family arrived this morning. The more the merrier, it's what summer's all about up here in the bloomin' woods :).
.

.

19 comments:

Mojo said...

Wow! These are GREAT! And Miss Mouse looks right at home... and so grown up too OMG.

Anonymous said...

You are sweet to share your vacation. Beautiful pics. Your family will not soon forget summer'10.

Linda

Dina said...

Wow, I never got to pick corn ever. Your kids are lucky. Your mom is good to be in the gleaning organization.
Great pictures.

Shavua tov, soon.

Phyllis Sommer said...

i love this - what a great organization and a great thing for the kids to do! nice pictures:-)

Gattina said...

This must have been a lot of fun ! and what an excellent idea to pick up the farmer's waste ! I get always angry when I see cherry trees overloaded with cherries and in the shops they are so expensive ! Only because people are to lazy to pick them up !
At least you have nice and warm weather !
That's not so much my case !

Dianne said...

we had parallel experiences this week :)
I visited a farm as well and posted a couple of shots from there

keep on enjoying your summer

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Who knew corn could provide such a fascinating subject for photos! Yours are wonderful and I enjoyed them today. Hope the little ones have recovered their good spirits again.

Daryl said...

GMTA! I took my corn shot at a street fair

Shannara said...

Great photos and it looks so much fun... We don't have any cornfields, at least not in my part of Sweden. =)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I could have shot there for hours if I didn't have two (extraordinarily hot and grumpy) very cute little girls to bring home.

LOL!

Love the third shot, the path through the corn. And the one of Maya is so striking! Love how the leaves frame her face.

Maude Lynn said...

That third shot is just gorgeous!

bichonpawz said...

You got some pretty cool angles with these....and your little one is a doll!!

Gattina said...

Thanks for putting my link, you know how it is, on holidays you loose your mind, lol !

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Fresh corn is one of the very best things about summer. Glad you're having such a great vacation!

RoeH said...

I love your title. I saw that movie once and thought it was just kind of .....corny. Pun intended. But as a child growing up on a farm in Idaho, corn is a blast to play hide and seek in.

Minnesota Mamaleh said...

what an amazing experience (tiredness and grumpiness, err-- cuteness! aside) and the pictures are breath-takingly nostalgic!

catsynth said...

Looks like there is a lot of photograph on that farm. And that first photo is exceptional! That could be displayed in a gallery setting in contrast to some to the stone wall images from Israel :)

Mimi said...

what a great idea, and very good of the children to help out.
Your pictures remind me of a pick-your-own fruit farm in the Dublin mountains.
Glad you're having a good summer, Robin. There'll be lots of computer time in a month or so!

Dimple said...

It's amazing how cooling off can change your whole outlook on life! Lovely summertime shots, truly Americana at its best!