Wednesday, March 21, 2007

WFMW - Storing Ginger


Lots of recipes call for freshly grated ginger, but it's a hassle to keep it in the house since an average sized piece is much more than you'd need for any one recipe.
My solution is to keep it in the freezer. Just throw it in, it doesn't need to be wrapped, it will hold it's flavor beautifully. Then when you need fresh ginger just grab it and grate it on a hand grater. The frozen ginger grates easily and there's no need to peel it first. When you've got what you need, just throw the rest back in the freezer until next time.
Works for me.
Check out Shannon's Rocks In My Dryer for loads more tips.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tip! Thanks for sharing! =)

Anonymous said...

I've never tried fresh ginger, but if I can store the extra in the freezer, then it might be worth a try.

Annie said...

That is a great tip! I have bought ginger only to have it whither away before I use it all. I will definately try this.
blessings!
Annie

Jane said...

Oh, thank you! I have been waiting for this tip. My dh loves ginger in marinades and I like it too, but I could never use it up in time!

Nikki said...

Great tip! I especially love freezer tips.

Ms. Kathleen said...

I had no idea! Fabulous. We love ginger in our house.

Thanks!

Aisling said...

I cheat even further and but ready chopped ginger in a jar!