Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday - Easy Birthday Cake


I decided to participate in Shannon's (Rocks In My Dryer) Works For Me Wednesday post this week. Check it out - there are loads of great ideas there.


Here's a foolproof super-easy idea for a birthday cake - great for when you don't have time to fuss.


Photo Frame Cake


(This one stayed in the pan so that it would be easier for me to bring to my son's school. It looks better if you take it out.)







You need:

Photograph of the birthday kid
1 square cake
frosting
loads of colored candies, whatever kind the child likes

Take a photo (preferably cropped square) of the birthday kid. (Laminate or seal in a ziploc bag if you want to keep the picture safe.

Bake your favorite cake in a square pan. Frost. Lay the photo in the middle. Cover the rest of the cake (sides too if you wish, but that's optional) with the candy to form a picture frame. Presto, a fun cake sure to impress all your young party guests.

Note: I've found that M&M type candies work really well to cover the cake. Unfortunately, they were off limits this time since they aren't dairy-free (cake had to be kosher pareve) and I was stuck with whatever dairy-free candies I could find. A full face brightly colored photo also works best, but Itai really wanted the picture of him blowing out the candles on his wizard's hat cake (scroll down for pic) from his "friends" party. I did like the juxtaposition of a cake with a kid blowing out candles while he blows out his candles though. Sort of a Hall of Mirrors type thing LOL.

11 comments:

Rae said...

That looks so simple yet amazing. Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing! =)

Jane said...

Hmmm, this could be an easy way to do a theme, a picture of a fire truck w/ red,black and white candy...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love that idea! Sounds simple and fun! I'll have to store this one away to use! Thanks for sharing!

Overwhelmed! said...

How cute this is! Thanks so much for the idea. :)

Annie said...

Great tip, thanks!
Have a great Wednesday.
blessings~
Annie

Scribbit said...

Don't you love dietary restrictions? No peanuts, no dairy, no sugar, no MSG . . . It's almost more trouble than it's worth to bring treats for a class. :)

But that cake would be worth it.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

That's really cute. Great job!

Alexandra said...

How clever! I might try this next year for ds's birthday with a Power Ranger picture.

Someone said...

I love this idea and I am going to use it for my daughter's 3rd birthday next week. Thanks! (...any excuse to use chocolate candies...)

Lisa said...

That is such a great idea!! I think I am going to make that for an upcoming birthday. Thanks for sharing.

My Trendy Tykes said...

What a great idea!

Linda