Monday, December 6, 2010

Slowly moving on

The fire is finally out. Israel is burying its dead and beginning the hard work of rebuilding, both physically and emotionally, that comes with the day after.

After days glued to the television, the internet, the radio, Facebook, Twitter, anything and everything, I finally feel able to again turn to photography for solace, looking for beauty to replace the horrors seared into my consciousness.

I turned to the same simple flower that brought comfort to me once before and let it wash over me and fill my inner eye with yellows that were not flames, reds that don't burn. I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't live on the Carmel, a place that just a few days ago was one of the greenest, loveliest, most magical places in the country. A place I visited just a few weeks ago to drink in it's soothing green mountains and crisp clean air. A place where many families still make olive oil the way they have for untold generations. Today that village is bearing the hurt of an unspeakable burden, today those hills are blackened and dead, the gravesite of 42 souls lost to the flames, countless homes burned, and 5 million trees lost.

Someday though, the hills will begin to live again, and bring joy, tempered with sad remembrance, to all those who see them.

For now, there is this. This small piece of beauty. May it put a smile on the face of those who see it and wipe away a little of the horror of the past days.



26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't stop thinking about it, since we started hearing of it. So hard to cope with and with such long lasting after effects.
I'm glad to read that the flowers help you through this tragedy in your country.

kayerj said...

so beautiful, as are your thoughts

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

I'm so sorry for the tragic loss in your great country. It is difficult to take in the reality of it all, I'm sure.

The photo of the flower is amazing.

Blessings to you, sweet friend.

SouthLakesMom said...

Robin, how beautiful to find hope in the sadness.

One of the things that brought tears to my eyes over this situation was the international response included avowed "enemies" of Israel. That gives me just a little hope for all of us.

Poor Israel has so much to deal with all the time. I'm so grateful that you can show us, through your lens, that there is always beauty to see.

p.s. Photos arrived today. I'm going to wait until the guys go to Boy Scouts tonight to open the package. I can't WAIT!

Ralph said...

The smallest beauty can be so powerful. Not so much to forget the horrors, but to focus on what can be - sooner than later, as we all hope...

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That was such a tragedy. My father fought forest fires when he worked for the Forest Service here in the USA. We were always glad to see him return home.

Chubskulit Rose said...

That's gorgeous! May the Lord help all the people that are affected by the fire. My parents lost their very first house when I was a baby that almost killed me.

Building Blocks for RT

gemini said...

Prayers for the fire victims and flowers to make our day.

Phyllis Sommer said...

I, too, have been glued to the news. Thanks for the beautiful reminder that life must go on...

Maria @ LSS said...

I heard about that sad news and I'm praying for all the victims and their families.

Your flower is gorgeous. Happy Ruby Tuesday.

Mine's here.

Anonymous said...

so sorry about the fire and its effect. my prayers are with everyone. this is a beautiful flower and beautiful photo. looking at it certainly brings feelings of peace.

paz

Kate said...

The little things make all the difference.

Jill said...

Ugh. The fire there, the devastation, it's breaking my heart. I can't even imagine. The loveliness of it all - gone. It's so sad.

Jael said...

So sad with what is left,and what takes years to recover.I too remember the Carmel area so green and lovely,now a memory only.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Just a little corner of beauty in the world strengthens the weary spirit! A wonderful post and love your photo!

Namaste!

SouthLakesMom said...

Robin, I'm back to tell you the photos are breathtaking as canvases! My daughter wants them in her room -- NO NO NO, I cried. They're MINE! Even though I'm wrapping them up for my husband for our anniversary (ha ha)

I think I'll repaint the wall they'll hang on -- a good backdrop.

Daughter agrees with me that they're perfect as they are - no framing needed.

Dianne said...

the flower is beautiful

hugs Robin

Auntie E said...

Lovely flower to share with the lost souls. I guess the fires were so bad. Read the story, so sorry for the lost of life.
I pray no more fire will spur up.
Ruby Tuesday-shopping time.

Daryl said...

So sad ... what a lovely distraction this flower is ..

Anonymous said...

It is a beauty indeed. You have really managed to capture the warm colors.

Mimi said...

Robin, I'm so sorry. This is a tragedy, such loss of life.
I tried to leave this message last night, and a previous one, and blogger was cranky, comments wouldn't work.
Take care, indule your art, which will give you some healing.

Patti said...

I'm glad the beauty of the flower helps you through this difficult time, Robin.

I'm so sorry for the tragic loss of so many lives in your country. Rebuilding is indeed difficult.

Heckety said...

Its so awful and bitterly sad. As if your country doesn't have enough to deal with, more loss.
So, so sorry.

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful tragic post.

shibori girl said...

I've been thinking of you as I watch the news, so far removed here in the States. I'm so sorry this happened.

Kate

Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

Love you sweetie.

I know I am not around much, but you are always in my thoughts.