Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer Stock Sunday #7 - Summer in the City

.
Summer has hit my little city full on.
.
The gardeners are busy sprucing up the place.
.
Click pictures to enlarge
.
The old men are congregating on the benches along our (little) main shopping street

.

.
And people are looking for novel ways to keep cool while running errands. This boy had apparently had too much of tagging along after his mother and persuaded one of the gardeners to give him a good soaking with his hose before they headed off to their next stop. His mother (the woman in the orange top) was cracking up as she looked on. Pretty ingenious I say, and he was certainly more comfortable than the rest of us, albeit a lot wetter.
.

.
So what does summer look like for you this week?
.
Put up your own Summer Stock post and then come here and sign the linkie so that we can all see it too. To make it easier for everyone to find your Summer Stock post please remember to sign the linkie with your permalink (the link to the actual post itself) rather than with your general blog link, and of course to sign only after your Summer Stock post is up. Your understanding and cooperation will make it a lot easier for all our busy bloghoppers to visit and share your summer fun, which after all is what Summer Stock is all about!
.


.

22 comments:

Bim said...

This looks good to me - I wouldn't mind some more heat and sun :)

Anonymous said...

It is a very touching sight for me - the old people gathering for chat - discussing the life, neighbors and politics. My father used to stop to talk with them after work - one of my childhood memories in Bulgaria. I don't see this as much here in the States - may be don't know where to look for it?

Mojo said...

Summer looks... hot this week. We're into that carbon copy weather forecast period we get every year. Same stuff, different day. Hot, humid, and the only question is whether you carry the umbrella and use the sunglasses or the other way round.

Very inventive kid there. Evaporative cooling is very efficient!

Anonymous said...

That so depicts a good summer. Excellent pictures...:)

Glennis said...

Sorry Robin, the first signing was with the wrong blog address, sorry to mess it all up, maybe you could remove the first post.

Leora said...

Like Ellie, I'm very attracted to the old people sitting on benches chatting. I would love to sit next to them and listen in for a bit.

Mama Pajama said...

Hope I linked correctly this time! I'm down with the kid who got hosed - on super-hot days, I find soaking my head and hair to be one of the most effective ways to cool down as well!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Can you believe I only now clued in about linking my Summer Stock Sunday post into the Mr. Linky?

Duh...

I love the look on the gardener's face as he waters the kid. A kid or a plant - if it needs water, he's your man.

kayerj said...

love the old men sitting and chatting--that's a very traditional summer activity.

Jientje said...

My favourite one is the one of the men on that bench. And that last one is too funny, I can't imagine it happening here, there is enough water falling from the sky as it is! Have a great Sunday!

Carletta said...

Growing up I so remember 'going to town' and there being places to sit and chat. My Grandpa was one of those men!
We don't seem to see much of that here anymore. Maybe too many people in a fast-paced world. :)
There have been times I've been working outside in the yard and done just as this young man - HE had the right idea.

Dina said...

Hi Robin, can I play, can I, huh?!

I'll have to learn from you and the others to find happy scenes of summer. But meanwhile, I posted my summer reality.

Shalom to you and all.

Dianne said...

we both chose a street scene this week :)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

oops! thankyou for correcting me. I'm on my last day of vacation and must be not thinking clearly.

Jan said...

Love that last shot. Yes, it's good to be cool.

imom said...

I'm hot just looking at those photos! It's rainy and cool in Seattle today. Yesterday it was roasting hot, go figure!

Thorne said...

These are great Summer photos! You have really captured the feeling of the season in this set. I love the photos of the men on the benches. My (late) Art Prof used to say that most of today's societal ills were due to the fact that we don't have community areas, like the old Roman Forum, to gather and exchange thoughts, ideas and philosophy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin, It looks very hot there?
I bet you would have loved some of that water too.....lol
I know i would...:-))))

Daryl said...

Love the shot of the kid getting watered and the older men sitting like yentas .. fabulous vignette of summer!

Jessica The Rock Chick said...

We're finally getting some summer weather here in Chicago! I love it hot!---can't say I've ever wanted to douse myself with cold water from a hose! LOL

Anya said...

Finally its summer in Dutch :)
Today a few shots from our sea !!

Maya@A Beach Lovers Place said...

I love this idea..., hopefully I find something so I can participate...