Wednesday, July 8, 2009

From a distance, the world looks blue and green

Click to enlarge
.
I took this last summer out the window of my father's airplane as we traveled to visit my beloved and much missed aunt for what I knew would be the last time. She's been on my mind a great deal lately as the family prepares for both my cousin's wedding and the first anniversary of her death, with no small amount of accompanying drama.
.
This photograph, together with the song, helped me to see beyond the current friction and emotion to the greater picture. My aunt would have loved this shot, I wish she could have seen it, though not nearly as much as I wish she were here to see her son walk down the aisle. Perhaps somehow, in some way, she will. From a distance.
.
I'm offering this image for both this week's Window Views and Thematic Photographic's distance theme (as well as last week's aviation theme, which I was too distracted to get in on, so I might as well go for the trifecta now). It obviously struck a very deep chord in me, I hope it strikes one in you as well.
.



.
As a minor aside, I would very much have liked to give credit where it is due and show you a clip of Julie Gold singing her wonderful song herself but I couldn't find one so I went with the much more well known Bette Midler cover. If you do ever get the chance to hear the original on the Four Bitchin' Babes' Buy Me Take Me Don't Mess My Hair album it's well worth the listen, she's got a gorgeous voice (you can hear a tiny clip on the page above, barely enough to whet your appetite).
.

31 comments:

Mojo said...

Whoa. Can I borrow your dad and his airplane for an afternoon? (I promise I won't even wear my Canes jersey or nothin'!)

I love -- LOVE -- this kind of shot. From this angle, everything looks ... right.

Marvelous opener for this week's TP!

kayerj said...

thanks for bringing me along on your "sentimental journey" It is a lovely window shot.

Daryl said...

Love this song, and I am sure your aunt is watching .. from a distance .. and your father owns an airplane? Will he adopt me?

Anonymous said...

This is on my "hope to do it some day" list. Love in-flight window pics!

Robin said...

Actually he owns 1/3 of an airplane, he shares it with two other guys, but yes it's a lot of fun.

anymommy said...

Gorgeous. I love the photo and the idea it captures. I've always loved that song.

A belated Happy Birthday as well! I've had both hands occupied and I'm so happy to catch up here a little today!

maryt/theteach said...

Can't get a wonderful shot like this from a 747, Robin! Great WV post! :)

Gemma Wiseman said...

A beautiful post all round! Love the panoramic view and I have always adored the song "From a Distance"! There is something so hauntingly sad and beautiful about it!

EG CameraGirl said...

Nice shot from above, Robin. It has been years since I flew in a small plane. This is pleasant reminder, ;-)

Dianne said...

a lovely post Robin
the photo is breathtaking
Bette is divine

and sharing family memories is always a treasure

Libby's Library said...

I love Bette Midler - and this is one of my favorite songs of hers.

Hope you will always be able to have fond memories of your aunt!

PS - you'd have to knock me out cold and tie me up, to get me into a small plane!

Cheryl Pitt said...

What a beautiful shot! I'm so happy you could step back from the chaos and enjoy the "bigger picture".

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Beautiful picture - but I think my heart would be in my throat! I was in a Cessna once and I was too busy having panic attacks to take pictures.

Lew said...

Beautiful view through your window, with sad memories associated with the trip. It is a wonderful experience though to have the chance for a last goodbye.

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

What a story! lovely shot too.

MaR said...

Beautiful, beautiful shot and view!! and moving post...
Mar

Dina said...

My daughter has a pilot license but can't afford to fly anymore. Too bad she doesn't have a father like yours.
I totally agree with your comment just now. You may not be surprised to know he lives at Harduf and is training to be a Waldorf teacher .

Catherine said...

Doesn't it change your perspective to see the world from high up? And thanks for reminding me of that song, it's one I enjoy a lot.

Leora said...

What a lovely winding river in your photo.

We just found out a relative is ill; so hard to lose those we love. Nice that you got a chance to see her.

Irene said...

Such a meaningful post.

Bette Midler is a diva!

Anonymous said...

I always demand window seat at the airplanes. It is interesting but the Old World looks more like a picture of an artist - lots of man handling of the terrain - the rest of the world looks less "sharp" - but the blues and greens and yellows and clouds are the same - gorgeous Earth colors that only mother nature can mix so perfect! You captured what is best - the perfect mix that we live in - but rarely have the perspective or the time to enjoy!

Grampy said...

Nice plane ride. Glad you were in time to say goodbye. Nice to see that you and your dad are close.
Thanks for visiting Grampys Place.

Shey said...

Fantastic post. I love the aerial shot. I like "from a distance" too. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

Jientje said...

Great picture and a wonderful song. But most of all, a wonderful post. You moved me with this. I hope your aunt can see this too. Wherever she is. From a distance.

Heather said...

Very nice! My hubby is a pilot and I love to go up and take photos. This is just lovely :)

Light and Voices said...

Wonderful photograph from a plane. Great idea to listen to "From a distance." Great job!
Joyce

ellen b. said...

Beautiful shot out that airplane window and I hope that the wedding will be filled with joy and lovely remembrances of your Aunt...

Mama Pajama said...

Nice one, well done!

Rajesh said...

Fantastic view, well taken.

NJ said...

It's amazing how the world looks from above! Great picture!

Colette S said...

You take the most wonderful photos! Wow

And I am sorry about your aunt. It is bittersweet how life happens. Endings and new beginnings.