Monday, April 16, 2007

Decisions decisions...

It's GNI time again on Thursday, and this month's theme is finger food.

Right now I'm debating between chicken enchiladas and mushroom turnovers (I think I'd up the seasoning on these though, they sound a bit bland as is). (I do seem to be craving pastry right now, don't I. Must be all those thoughts of dieting I've been entertaining.)

Other items on the menu so far are Thai ground beef and lettuce rolls and deviled eggs. I'm sure there will be some kind of veggies and dip, and probably a salsa or two.

So internets, which is your preference? Or alternatively, suggest a different recipe or even something else entirely (no pork or seafood though - too many won't eat them).

We do a fair amount of entertaining and it's time to mix up my appetizer offerings a bit, so any and all suggestions are welcome, even if they don't work for GNI.

And, if any of you decide to adopt the GNI idea I'd love to hear about it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Robin, for the mushroom turnovers, you could go for a sweet taste (since you are on a diet, lol). I've had great luck by doing this: Saute the mushrooms and onions in the butter, sprinkle a bit of sugar over them while they simmer, and then add a dash of raspberry vinegar. Sorry I can't tell you measurements, because I "eyeball it." But, cooking the mushrooms this way causes them to caramelize and gives a wonderful sweet/sour flavor. It might work well in a pastry. My husband loves them this way, and it's the ONLY way my stepson will touch a fungus to his lips (unless you count the hand towel in his bathroom that he won't launder!).

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Love this eclectic life's son's towel!

I'm not a mushroom fan; I'd go with the enchiladas, myself.

Robin said...

It's now looking like for kosher reasons I need to find something that's either meat or dairy free. Can't mix. But, if it's dairy, some of those who eat the beef dish won't be able to eat it because they don't mix milk and meat.

Back to the drawing board...

Anonymous said...

Robin, I'll have an enchilada or two. Or mushrooms, both are my favorties.

That's terrible what those boys did to your house. That would make me FURIOUS too.They must live in or around your neighborhood. I hope you catch them.

Kim said...

Oh man I was just drooling over those empanadas! I had to copy the recipe.

Good luck finding one that will work!