Wednesday, April 11, 2007

WFMW - Cleaning up small toys

I don't know about you, but I really hate having to crawl around on the floor picking up the 4,562,967 small magnets/animals/puzzle pieces/other assorted junk that my daughter manages to spread throughout the house in less than 10 seconds flat (how does that work, anyway? It must be some kind of high speed osmosis...). Having her help clean up is good educationally, but it invariably means that the very moment we have them all gathered up ready to be put away, she'll get that glint in her eye. Oooh, a great big inviting pile of toys that I just HAVE to play with this very minute! And then, before I know it, I'm back to square one.

If you've got tile or hardwood floors though, here's a trick - use a broom and just sweep all those little guys right up. Quicker, easier, and doesn't hurt your knees and back! Even the kids like to help.

Check out Shannon's Rocks In My Dryer for lots of other great tips.

10 comments:

Rachel said...

GREAT TIP!!! :) My family uses this method too. Only we have carpeted floors so we use a RAKE! Yes, your garden variety plastic rake and voila! :) Works just the same. :)

LaLa said...

Sounds like a good idea..but then my toybox would be full of dust bunnies! Hmmm..maybe I should just clean my floor more often LOL
btw found you on Johnny's blog..hope he isn't still in China!

janet copenhaver said...

Hi Robin,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I live in Colorado, those are the Sangres you see on my header.

Your site will be interesting to read, at first glance it doesn't look like you talk much about Israel culture, but I look further.

Alexandra said...

LOL...I've done the same on occasion.

Nikki said...

How fun! I recently learned that my friend gives her daughters dustpans to scoop up legos and little things.

GiBee said...

Yup! Works on carpet, too! Trust me ... I know!

Robin said...

I write mainly about my life Janet (from Colorado). Sometimes there's a lot about life in Israel, other times less. Just depends on where life and the muse take me.

Kim said...

You're supposed to pick up the toys!? Huh, might have to try that sometime. You really can learn anything off the interweb can't you?!

Stephanie said...

OMG - my husband uses a rake, too. I will have to tell him there are others out there. :)

Anonymous said...

Great tip! Thanks for sharing! =)