Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer Stock 13 - Bar Harbor

.

.
While no one can say that downtown Bar Harbor isn't incredibly touristy you have to admit it has some great things to offer those who visit.
.
There are bright lights:
. .
And a working harbor:

.
.
And best of all, the chance to finally meet dear friends face to face. From left to right:
.
L (Dawn and Laura's friend), Laura, Dawn, me with a disgusting double chin and weird half-closed eyes, and my husband Jay. We had a fabulous dinner, sinfully delicious dessert, and all-around terrific evening together as Dawn and Laura showed us around their little corner of the world. It's always wonderful to meet good blogfriends in person - there's little distance or awkwardness since you already know each other well, and you're able to slip right into that "old friends reunited" role in no time at all, and this time was no exception.
.

Click to enlarge any of these photos
.
My computer, and with it all my photo-editing software, is still in the shop so all of these photos are straight out of the camera (with the exception of the border around the last one, which I put in the other day after a sadly unproductive attempt to rid myself of that horrid double-chin. Gak.) I've got all my data on an external hard drive at the moment, but I'm not loading any of the newer photos until I get my laptop back and can be sure that everything is working properly. (That's also why I haven't linked to any of the other bloggers I've mentioned - I don't have the bookmarks handy, I'll add their links in after I get my own machine back.) I'm hoping that by the time this posts (on auto-scheduler, since I will hopefully be hitting the outlets with my sister at 5pm) I'll have it back, but in my experience these things always take longer than the IT guy says they will so who really knows.
.
Now that Jay and his good weather karma have gone back to Israel the weather has crapped out again - rain today had me stuck in arcade hell instead of my hoped for visit with Maribeth, and it's not looking much better for the rest of the weekend either. Blech. I hope things are sunnier wherever you are this week and you've got lots of great images and stories to share for this week's Summer Stock. Don't forget to leave your permalink below and link back here to Around the Island as well so that we can all find them and share in your fun.
.


.

23 comments:

Dimple said...

Hi! Well, I'm the first, and that's a first. Must be a slow day in blog land! See you later!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures...so crappy when the weather is bad. Have a great Saturday :)

Ellie said...

Friends around - the best part. They say people are turning introvert from staying in front of computers whole day long - actually smiling at a friends face - precious! I like your camera - fabulous blue strait out of it! My Mom - Nadine from Bulgaria - is still trying to post a comment - hope we'll see it! Blogging is a whole new world for her!

amanda said...

Glad you pieceofcrap is up and running again!
Now let me tell you Robin that is a great group photo and that is not a double chin it is an ultra-happy smile, everyone looks so happy glad you finally got to meet!

Glennis said...

The reindeer reminds me Christmas is coming! Love the harbour view with the red boat reflecting in the water.

kayerj said...

looks like a fun night out.
I doubled up this week. My photo hunt (ripples) also showed a nice light summer rain.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Woo hoo! Blogfriends in person!

LOVE the moose.

Libby's Library said...

You do not have a double chin, but you and Jay have the same fantastic smile!

Dianne said...

the woman in the poster looks like she's part of your group

you look wonderful
you all do

Dina said...

That reminds me when my kids were young. To cheer me up they'd say, "Keep your chins up, Mom." :))

Sounds like your fun there is on-going.

It's a stretch, but I tried to combine Summer Stock with the beginning of Ramadan.

Jientje said...

You all have such beautiful smiles!!! I love it! I have posted my Summer Stock Sunday on Saturday Robin, I hope you don't mind?

Bim said...

Photos of working harbours are always good, but the bright lights are priceless!
I do agree re your and Jays smiles with one of the above comments. I do hope the weather picks up again!

Leora said...

The smile clearly tells the fun you are having! Love hearing, reading, seeing your trip to Maine. Beautiful up there.

Daryl said...

Wonderful photo ... who is looking at chins when there are so many happy smiles to look at?

UGH on the rain ... apparently its from Hurricane Bill .. we've had a crappy weekend here too .. and none of it has helped my aching sciatic/butt issues

anymommy said...

It all sounds like so much fun. I hope he traveled safely. Are you going back to Israel soon too? May the trip be uneventful.

Jill said...

Great photo of you and your friends!

Have a fun trip back to Israel sans hubby... oh I know how it is!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Yes, as Jientje said, you all have beautiful smiles...and the lovely light of friendship in your eyes. Isn't it great to meet blog friends in person!

Sorry about the weather there on the East Coast!

Genny said...

Your picture with your friends gave me a lump in my throat...I have some really close friends I haven't seen in a long time and this made me miss them!

I hope your computer is fixed up soon. That would be hard to be without it. :)

Great to pop by and "see" you Robin. I always love hearing about what is going on with you.

Samantha ~ Holly and Zac ~ said...

Nice pix, that sounds like it was a great evening you all had. :-)

maryt/theteach said...

Robin, my post is up now cuz I was out at the Nassau Museum looking at outdoor sculpture in the rain. At first I thought you might be on Long Island (we have a Bar harbor too) but obviously you're still in Maine... Hope you are having fun in the malls. :)

Mojo said...

Damn! I forgot again! (Don't ask me why I don't just schedule these weeks in advance like I do with so many other memes.)

Sorry the Rains of doom have come to call on you. They were just here yesterday, but we really needed them so I'm not complaining.

So... is there also a "Bat Harbor"? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

So glad you all met, and I can't wait to meet all of you!

deedee said...

Fun to meet up with friends! I wouldn't mind exploring your part of the world one of these days...:)