Sunday, August 9, 2009

Summer Stock Sunday #11 - Oh Captain My Captain

.
Click to enlarge
.
Maya driving the boat as my father keeps a careful eye out, with assorted other relatives in the background.
.
I'm sorry, I know I have been completely remiss about getting out to all your blogs this past week, but as you can see from the sparse posting on my own we've barely stopped for a moment. The sun hasn't shone often in New England this summer so every sunny day is viewed as a treasure to be savored - great for making vacation memories, not so great for blog-hopping (of course they could all move to Israel like us, where there's no shortage of sunny summer days, but so far we've got no takers, and given the scenery on the lake here I suppose I can understand that). I do plan to visit all of you this weekend and hope you'll be patient with me (and put up with all of these endless vacation posts) for a while longer. It's not all fun and games of course, I am attempting to work in between all the boat rides but I figured that wouldn't make nearly as interesting a post. (Stop the presses - Robin created a document this afternoon! And edited another one! Can't you just die from the excitement?)
.
I hope fun and games and sunshine are a part of all of your summers this week too - let's see all those great images and stories rolling in for this week's Summer Stock. Don't forget to leave your permalink below and link back here to Around the Island as well so that we can all find them and share in your fun.
.


.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so brave! I am scared of big water / have to make sure my feet reach the bottom/. As a kid used to read books about sailors and pirates meeting sea monsters and disappearing mystically. Glad you got lots of sunshine over there!

amanda said...

Your father makes an impressive figure. Keep enjoying your time out there we all look forward to when you're back tho!

Colette S said...

You should enjoy the vacation! And that photo of her driving that boat is a keeper for ages!

Colette S said...

Should I have said manning the boat? lol

Rona Michelson said...

Looks like a lot of fun... what could be better than cruisin' with grandpa?

kayerj said...

we'll be here when you get back, I'm surprised you're even trying.

Bim said...

She looks good at the wheel - I'm slightly envious, too :) - I'm much much older than her still my father would never allow me to steer his boat...

Libby's Library said...

I love the title for your post!

Dimple said...

A great summer activity--boating whenever possible. Great shot, I bet your father would like an enlargement to hang in his house!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I am glad you are enjoying your holiday! No need to apologize to us. We'll see you when you get around to visiting...in the meantime, have fun with your family. They are the most important thing anyway.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I can't get over that sky! Gorgeous.

Mojo said...

That's your Dad?? Wow! The years have been a lot kinder to him than they've been to me for sure. Must be something in the air in New England. I think everybody I know from there stays perpetually young.

Either that or you're all secretly related to Dick Clark.

And Miss Maya looks every inch the competent pilot. Very important looking she is.

Leora said...

If the rest of my life were spent vacationing in New Hampshire, I wouldn't complain. Looks great.

Phyllis Sommer said...

looks AWESOME. i don't have a pic this week but i will take a bunch as we head up to a friend's lake house on monday!!!:-)

Jientje said...

Your father looks very handsome Robin!
Have fun!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

For some reason, the phrase 'Oh Captain My Captain' always tugs at my heart. Love your shot of the two generations of captains. As well as the on-the-water fun from Wednesday.

Dina said...

This is such a wonderful photo and it evokes memories of decades ago for me. When I was growing up in Chicago my father (zal) would sometimes send a ticket to come visit him in Miami. He always had a boat and was very much the captain. Your father and mine look a lot alike.
Enjoy every minute over there!

I'll try to come up with a summer post soon.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I'm so glad that you have had some nice weather. We have had just the worst summer for rain I can ever remember. Your father looks right at home on his boat.

Anonymous said...

I have not kept up with blogs this week either, mine is due to being lazy....lol
Your holiday looks real fun, have a super time, as time goes so quick....;-)

Daryl said...

What fun .. and a big step for her ... I empathize with your lack of blog visiting time .. no apologies necessary ... my sciatica has been horrible and causing my middle back to spasm ... lucky me .. so sitting time is very limited .. xoxo

Dina said...

OK, I finally made the decision what to post for summer, now that Sunday is almost over. :)

Jessica The Rock Chick said...

I've never driven a boat and I think it would be an amazing experience. I love the feeling of being out on the water. I know a lot of people get seasick, but I find the motion very calming!!! Hope you are completely enjoying your trip!!!

Tammy said...

Great shot! Looks like you are all having a great time!

Dianne said...

she looks like a very skilled pilot :)

and your Dad is very watchful

he's also very handsome :)

I've missed Summer Stock a couple of weeks now
Life is ... well life

I'm thrilled you had some good weather, the summer has been very rainy

maryt/theteach said...

Forgot to sign up last week, Robin... but I'm glad a lot of people visited me anyway! :) Let's see if I remember this week - Sheesh! :)