Monday, December 25, 2006

For the love of Pete, why???

I just found an unopened package of girls' underwear in Maya's closet. (I apparently bought it a long time ago under the foolishly misguided assumption that she might have actually needed it last year. BWAHAHAHAHA...) Anyway, I found and opened the package today. Now remember, this is underwear sized for a THREE year old girl. Not a 17 year old slut, a THREE year old girl.

The first two pairs were cute, just multi-colored stripes. Fine. No problem. The third pair in the package? Not so fine. This one said "Teenager" on it in bright sparkly letters, RIGHT ABOVE A PAIR OF LUSCIOUS RED LIPS! I'm sorry, but WTF!!! Why in god's name does a THREE year old (did I mention that she is ONLY THREE?!?) need a pair of sexy lips in the middle of her crotch?!?!? I am so completely skeeved out. Now, Maya goes through underwear at a fairly fast rate (what? accidents? no, of course not...), but still. I just can't see myself putting this Lolita-esque disaster on a preschooler. Yuck! Not that anyone but her family, and her teachers, and whatever random strangers happen to come and knock on the door while she's wandering around in her skivvies are ever likely to see it, but still...

Why on earth would someone even make something like this? Why on earth should a 3 year old have any undergarment even remotely reeking of something sexual. Now I'm not a particularly paranoid mother, I don't see pedophiles around every corner, but this just really strikes me as wrong. Just plain wrong.

Am I crazy or do you agree? (Or both, can't rule out that possibility, can we?)

8 comments:

Space Mom said...

Ick! I would toss that one pair. I would never put that on my child....

Kim said...

I agree, gross! I would be tossing those in the trash. I don't know why little girl clothes have to be so slutty. M is 8 and it's very hard to find clothes for her that aren't skin tight, low cut and just plain slutty.

Anonymous said...

That is awful!! I agree with you...what are the designers thinking about?

Those who serve the little dictatrice. said...

Total agreement here, too. What is it with the big rush to dress them way beyond their years too early?!?

Terri said...

Totally agree with you. Dressing Diva has been a battle as it seems every article of clothing out there is for a 16-year-old. I want my girl to be a girl!!! A little lady you might say!

Yvette said...

I've noticed the trend too, to dress up little girls way beyond their years. I remember a couple of years ago, we were on vacation and there was a Spanish family at the pool. The girl must have been about 9 or 10. She had on a THONG bikini!!! I remember being absolutely gob-smacked. My daughter Kolina is 11, but is as big and developed as a 14-year-old. It's so hard to find non-sluttish clothes for her. I know clothes are not meant to give men/boys an invitation to rape, but sometimes it's hard not to think "easy" when you see some of the girls' clothes around today.

Robin said...

I know just what you mean Yvette! Those damn thong bikinis on preteen (and younger!) girls drove me crazy all summer long. What on earth were their mothers thinking??? (or not thinking)

PS The underwear in question has been tossed, and has hopefully been incinerated by now.

Lilight said...

It really is sad the assault on children. I also have had a couple of mishaps with Isabella's clothing. I made the mistake of buying her a one-piece bathing suit before we left Brazil. I didn't even think to look at the behind coverage (which was lacking and wouldn't stop entering her crack the entire time she wore it). I got her two new suits here (and surprised that one of them, which I hadn't noticed when I purchased it, had quite a PLUNGE neckline though the rest of it was fine. I mean, I've never seen a plunge like that on a little girl's suit. So strange that they make them the exact same cut as an adult would wear.