Saturday, May 24, 2008

If only...

Somewhere out there, in a parallel universe, another Robin is having a really great day...

Ohmigod, ohmigod, ohmigod! Five out of six numbers!! One more and I win! Holy crap! The jackpot of the century!! Come on, come on, come on 14. Come on. 14, let's go, 14! I can't breathe, ohmigod, pleaseletmewinpleaseletmewin!!!

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won I won I won I won I won!!!! Holy crap holy crap holy crap!!!!! $15 million dollars!!!!!!!!! Oh my god, what do I do first?!?!? Ohmigod, ohmigod, ohmigod!

Where's my phone? Where's my damn phone? Found it! Hello?!? This is Robin. I quit!!! Yes, I just said I quit! I'm done working - for you or for anyone, but especially for you! Done, finished, finito, sayonara baby! I'm outta here!

Ok, now what. Wait a minute! I didn't call Jay! I can't believe I forgot to call Jay! Come on, pick up! Pick up dammit! Hello? Wewonwewonwewonwewonwewon!!! What? Forget the meeting! Come home! Come home right now! And on your way, call the town pool and tell them we won't be needing a membership this year - or any year! We're going to be moving to a villa with a pool just as soon as my fingers can dial the realtor! And a boat! We have to have a boat! Where should we berth it, Tel Aviv or Herzliah? How big should we get? Should it be big enough to take us to Greece?!? And France! We should definitely get a little hideaway in France somewhere! Paris or Provence, what do you think? Oh, and we should donate a bunch too - which would you prefer - to fund a soup kitchen or a full-service homeless shelter? And what about traveling? Let's all go to someplace exotic before we visit my folks this summer! Tahiti or Fiji? What do you think? So many plans! So many decisions! Ooh, and a caravan! Let's buy a caravan to keep in the States so we can go wherever we want! And...

And then phone started ringing, and the kids started clamoring, and the doorbell started ringing, and i came crashing back down to earth... A nice little fantasy while it lasted, but not very likely to come true, especially since I don't even buy lottery tickets.

As long as we're back to reality, for those waiting for a personal update the Lag B'Omer camping trip went very well. We camped right on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean Sea (they weren't allowing camping or bonfires right on the beach) and had gorgeous views of the Tel Aviv skyline on one side and sunset over the Mediterranean on the other. It was absolutely idyllic if you just ignore the unfreakingbelievingly loud and horrifically bad music that blasted up from some all night dance party on the beach from midnight on, and yes, I do mean all night. They finally stopped at 5:30am. Somehow all the kids thankfully slept through it, but none of the adults got much sleep. In the morning we broke camp and headed down to the still-deserted beach for a picnic breakfast and swim. All in all a delightful holiday.

23 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Ah, the great 'if only'. But would you be happy?
Yea, right! :-)

Granny Smith said...

This moment of fantasy is an absolute delight! I especially like your stated fact that you don't even buy lottery tickets. But what fun to dream!

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha, been there. When I'm really depressed, which is, thank G-d, not that often, I figure the only solution to life's woes are suicide or hitting the lottery. Some choices, huh?

I think it was Fran Liebowitz who wrote, "I finally figured out my chances of hitting the lottery if I bought a ticket were the same as if I didn't."

Anonymous said...

which one do you prefer, head in the sky, or feet on the ground?

ummi said...

I smiled throughout while reading your post. I always wish something like that happen to me too..wonder why it never does...

Red said...

I remember when my sister lived in Michagan, there was an article in the newspaper about the top 10 things you should do if you should win the lottery. Yeah, like they were lining up with their millions.

Numer one was: Disconnect your phone. these were some of the others I barely remember. Go away for 2 weeks, get a financial advisor. There were obviously more, but I never saw thee article nor have a won the lottery.

Got to love dremin'.

Lucy said...

haha ! How did I know from the first line, this was a fantasy Robin?? BEEN there DONE that kind of fantasy! Great Idea for quitting and SOO true, I would Quit working in a heartbeat! :))

SandyCarlson said...

How do kids manage to sleep through that kind of noise, yet one false step on a creaking floor in a quiet room and they're up? Call it a miracle....I'm glad you had a nice time despite the crazy music.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Like Granny Smith, I laughed at the 'not very likely to come true, especially since I don't even buy lottery tickets.' And I love all your 'pleaseletmewinpleaseletmewin!!!' LOL!

This is great, Robin! That whole bonfire-camping-edge-of-the-cliff-Tel Aviv-on-one-side-and-Mediterranean-on-the-other puts such a thrill through me.

GreenishLady said...

I enjoyed that fantasy! I do occasionally buy lottery tickets, but seldom check my numbers. I figure if I hit the big one, there would be publicity about a mystery winner in my area, and I'd find out that way! ... That reminds me, maybe I'd better check now to see if I've won that Porsche....

Patois42 said...

A lovely fantasy, indeed!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, it is ceartainly a very lovely, "If only....". I've seemed to dream the same thing, and I don't buy lottery tickets either. :)

What a spectacular view you had on your campout. I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves, despite the noisy neighbors.

rebecca said...

oh, i loved this! you wrote it so well i was taken away in the moment of your fantasy....yeahshewonshewonshewon! i think mine definitely sounds the same as yours with those FIRST words: I QUIT! oh, but for the pleasure.....

danni said...

i bet you left footprints as you tramped around in my brain --- HAH!!! --- great record of one of the universal dreams!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great and creative way to consider QUITTING---it got me thinking of what I would quit if I won the lottery - thanks for that originality!!


http://amarettogirl.squarespace.com/the-written-word/

DJPare said...

Can't tell you how many times I've had that fantasy!
I really need to actually buy a ticket some day...

P.S. I want your kitchen!

Anonymous said...

Oh My God! I love this post!

:D

end of the world for me

Shannon said...

Oh to win the big one. What fun it would be! Sounds like your trip was blissful...minus the horrific music.

Janet said...

ahhhhh, if only...

Tammy Brierly said...

You clever girl! If only...

Preethi said...

aah.. you wont believe how many times I fantasize the same!! :)

The Journey Home

Tammie Lee said...

You captured, expressed so much excitement in your writing! I could feel it.

Hope you made lots of noise in the morning while th party animals were asleep!

Anonymous said...

Adore your post!! OMG if only, would you be happy, you betcha, if I bought the tickets ... brilliant!