Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sate Chicken Skewers


The chicken itself was long gone by the time Janet asked for this recipe, so since I didn't have any food to photograph I decided to show you the recipe card itself. See for yourselves how well-loved this recipe has been over the years. The card is one of a number of family recipes my mom wrote out for me when I got married and nearly seventeen years later it's still a family favorite. We make it often at home, and it's our favorite go-to dish for summer barbecues whenever we're asked to bring "something to throw on the grill".
.
Enjoy.
.
Indonesian-style Sate Chicken Skewers
.
Ingredients:
4 large chicken cutlets, cut in strips (or easier to skewer bite-sized pieces, whichever you prefer)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbl oil
1 Tbl molasses
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 Tbl lemon juice
.
Mix above ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Marinate chicken for at least 2 hours.
Just before grilling, soak bamboo skewers in water (so they won't catch fire, which might put a damper on your dinner, so to speak). Thread the chicken onto the skewers. Grill 4-5 minutes or until done. (May take longer if you've done your chicken in chunks.) Brush with marinade. Or don't, I often skip this step.
.
Note: The original recipe calls for serving this with a spicy peanut sauce, but since no one but Jay and I ever ate the sauce (Israelis don't tend to be big fans of peanut butter in any shape or form) I've stopped bothering over the years. The chicken is delicious plain, but the sauce definitely kicks it up a notch. This recipe is similar to the one I used to make, but I leave out the coconut milk, thinning the peanut butter with a bit of hot water instead. Get creative, it's hard to go wrong with peanut sauce.
.
Click here if you'd like to see more of my recipes.

6 comments:

ummi said...

Wow,
I didn't realise your blog comes with heirloom recipes as well :-)
You know your Island is something I wish in my wishes..I must not think it is impossible inspite of me being a single mom raising 7 children on my own.....

Thank you so much for visiting my blog

Anonymous said...

Thank you agian Robin.

I love Sate Chicken with Peanut sauce.

How wonderful to have a copy of your mother's recipe. :) It does show you have loveingly used it.

Red said...

Here is where I disagree with a fellow homeschooling mother. I tell the children I teach that a messy recipe card means it has been used and usually a lot. My friend differs with me saying that it should be in its protective cover. I say pish posh, take that sucker out so I can read it, and let the suace fall where it may.

When that puppy gets so that I can no longer read it, than I put pen to paper, and make a new, so what...it can get dirty all over again.

I just might try that chicken dish next time poultry is on the menu.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

OMG, you now have me craving satays!!! (with peanut sauce)

The bad news in this craving is that my dad is taking us out to dinner tonight -- to a steak joint. A very good (and inexpensive one), but a steak joint nonetheless.

Guess we'll just have to cook...

Shannon said...

Yummy! Well loved recipes are easy to spot by the state of the card. I will try this for sure!

Janet said...

Thanks, Robin! I'll be trying this tomorrow :-)