Thursday, May 22, 2008

TT - 13 Things I'm Taking On Our Lag B'Omer Campout

Tonight (Thursday night) is Lag B'Omer, a Jewish holiday celebrated among secular Israelis primarily by the lighting of bonfires in fields and vacant lots all over the country. Last year we saw nine different fires just on our block. (Yes, I have asthma, and yes, this is a particularly delightful evening. I'm already taking preventive meds.)

This year we've decided to upgrade a bit and are hitting the beach with a couple of my son's friends and their families for a bonfire and campout. (Yes, this means that camping at the festival last weekend went well.)

Here are thirteen things we'll be bringing with us (if you're wondering why obvious items like coals for the grill are left out it's because one of the other families are bringing them):

1. Wood of course

2. Two tents (we'll be buying a single larger tent in the States this summer)

3. Two double air mattresses (comfort makes camping a lot more pleasant for this mama)

4. Four sleeping bags

5. Two sets of sheets (adult sleeping bags will be used as "blankets", kids' bags are just for lying on blankets under the stars before we head to bed

6. Indonesian sate-style chicken and hot dogs for the grill

7. A small grill

8. Loads of Israeli salads - hummus (fancy adult version + plain kids' version), red cabbage salad, and tomato and red pepper matbucha salad

9. Pump for air mattresses

10. Bathings suits

11. Sinai carpets (beach blankets)

12. Beach toys

13. Marshmellows!


Visit the Thursday Thirteen hub to see what everyone else is counting this week.

28 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Don't forget the chocolate for those 'mallows. And the graham crackers, too!

Funnily enough, we are heading out Saturday night to camp (assuming my migraine goes away). I'll think of you.

btw, it's official: The Tour Manager in Tel Aviv in June. We'll have to talk/coordinate.

Robin said...

Sadly graham crackers are very hard to come by here. No s'mores for us. (We'll make up for it in the states this summer though!) Eat one for me this weekend, will ya?

PS Why don't you tag along!

Anonymous said...

My kids just ate all of the chocolate I bought for the 'mallows! Great list, that I can use too!

Anonymous said...

My e-mail is out of whack... so about the bugs... hot pepper, cayenne pepper -- stuff like that is great to keep bugs away. So is dishwashing soap mixed with water -- spray on the plants each day. Have a fun time on your trip!

Lilibeth said...

What a great time of the year for it too. Have fun.

Janet said...

recipes, please! It's been a long time since you posted any :-)

When I was little we used to call beach blankets magic carpets and pretend we could ride them.

Anonymous said...

Have a great time.. you sound prepared.

SandyCarlson said...

I hope you had a marvelous time!

Bethanie said...

Oooo! Fire!! Sounds like a fun holiday!! And now I miss camping...

Happy TT!

storyteller said...

Sounds like you're ready for a good time. Enjoy!
Hugs and blessings,

pussreboots said...

Enjoy your trip. Happy TT.

Phyllis Sommer said...

have fun. eat some yummy roasted potatoes for me (isn't that what israelis roast in place of marshmellows? i never quite got the connection:-)...wish i could join you!

Robin said...

Thanks Susie :). By the way, if you want the full packing list let me know - I've got it computerized LOL.

Janet - I'll post the sate recipe next week, it's a good one. Remind me if I forget.

Phyllis - our friends are doing potatoes but since I'm not crazy about plain roasted potatoes with no toppings we're doing sweet potatoes :). Wish you were here to celebrate with us too.

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Love to go camping. Have fun! :-)

SJ Reidhead said...

I don't like camping, but your plans sound like fun. Take care and have a good time.

SJR
The PInk Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

anthonynorth said...

All absolute essentials for a camp out. It's been a long time since I've done it. Not sure the bones will take it any more, though.

Hootin Anni said...

I USED to like camping when younger...now at my age, the idea of 'roughing it'...is NO reservation for a room.


Mine's shared...C U THERE!!

LA Day said...

Sounds awesome.
Enjoy!

My Busy Life said...

Oh yeah, can't forget the marshmallows! I would be taking along the Hershey's bars and graham crackers too. I am up with my TT too.

Michelle said...

Sounds like a good time. Hope you have fun. Great list for TT.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

i want to camp- how fun- was it hot?

Darla said...

Sounds like fun! Hope you have a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

That's a new one on me. Do they celebrate it here in the U.S.? bonfires are a fun way to celebrate. They bring out the wildness in us.

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great time!

Unknown said...

i've always wanted to go camping! but then jason reminds me that it involves the outdoors--and bugs--and houston heat. and then my desire starts to fade. :) have a good time!

Too Cute Pugs said...

I love camping. Have a wonderful time!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Sounds like fun! I hear you on the bonfire-smoke/asthma thing. In winter here, all our neighbors love their woodstoves. And I don't (wheeze, cough.)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Me, again - when you get back from Lag B'Omer, I've tagged you for a Six Things Meme.