Saturday, April 14, 2007

Just another Sabbath in the Holy Land

Michelle from Scribbit was talking today about restaurants that create memories. Jay and I are foodies, so we really value top-notch creative cooking and will go out of our way to try a special restaurant. Actually, we even planned a trip to France once by what styles of cooking we were most interested in trying.

Sometimes, though, it isn't the food that draws you to a place. The food certainly wasn't the main attraction at brunch today. We ate at an outdoor cafe just 10 minutes from home called Nadnedot, which means "swings" in Hebrew. What makes this place special is it's setup. It's all outdoors, set on beautiful but very casually landscaped grounds on a still fairly agricultural looking moshav. The tables are scattered throughout the garden, which is set away from the parking lot. Best of all, there is a small playground, loads of outdoor toys, balls, etc., as well as several big swings, a hammock, and several koi ponds. In other words, a kids' paradise. The food? Well... Did I mention that there were swings? The food isn't bad, but it's certainly nothing to write home about. The ability to linger over lunch and iced coffee while your children play is priceless. Long lazy afternoons like this are the stuff memories are made of, and this is the perfect season for them - deliciously warm and sunny, but not so beastly hot that you can't bear to be outside. (And, they not only give me blog fodder, but also time to blog, since Maya came back so grubby that she went straight into the tub while Jay and Itai stayed out to run errands.)

Sound nice? You bet. But don't take my word for it, look for yourselves.

(The pictures are taken off the restaurants website, we didn't have a camera with us. I don't think they'd mind.)


PS The inevitable has happened. Someone from my "real life" has stumbled across my blog. (Hi Joanna :-), kick off your shoes, grab a comfy chair and make yourself at home. There's a pitcher of virtual margaritas and plenty of glasses right over here on the island.) Israel's such a small country that I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner, but there's still a bit of a worlds colliding kind of feel to it. I've been posting on my (non-Israeli) message board for so many years without that happening that I'd gotten a bit complacent about the whole "internet is a public place" idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy about it and look forward to sharing a bit more of my life with someone I care about, and with any other friends who happen to come by, my life is pretty much an open book, it's just a bit of a surprise, that's all. Now my family on the other hand... That would be a different story. It's funny, I love them and am close to them and don't feel any need to badmouth them whatsoever, but I like to know I have options LOL.

3 comments:

Scribbit said...

Glad you took this and did your own post. I love to eat and love dining out so much I could have gone on forever about food memories--a comment couldn't cover all the places I love to eat.

And thanks for the mention.

Okie Food Traveler said...

I enjoyed reading your blog...very interesting! Keep up the great blogging!

Anonymous said...

This sounds lovely! Now *I* want to go out to eat to a place with swings! It sounds so blissful....

Don't worry too much about the collision of worlds when a friend finds your blog. I find that it's actually helped many of my friendships, as when we do talk, we're all caught up! and can then talk about deeper issues that have been raised. It's actually a good thing! Depending, of course, on your blog style, but you should be just fine....