Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Speechless

It's not often that I'm at a loss for words, but that's where I am today. I've been trying since yesterday to gather my thoughts and write a post about the tragedy that occurred in Virginia yesterday. I wanted to talk about the senseless loss of life, about a professor who became a hero when he lay down his life to save his students, about a system which obviously failed someone while simultaneously failing to protect those around him, about the fragility of the illusion of safety, about how frightening it is to watch our children step out of our view, but the words fail me. I just can't do it right now. It's too fresh. Too horrific.

My thoughts go out to all those who lost loved ones in Virginia yesterday. I can't imagine how you are managing to just keep breathing, let alone to start picking up the pieces.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right.
It is a very sad and tragic day!
What I don't understand is how human life has no value to people like these suicide shooters? As a parent, it's getting harder and harder to let go of my children knowing their very lives may be in jeopardy. I understand what your saying.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

It is a tough, tough world out there.

Anonymous said...

You've said what I couldn't.

Space Mom said...

yes, Jay and I were discussing how this professor's experienes with other atrocities may have led him to save others.

This was a horrible thing done by a very ill man...