Wednesday, September 19, 2007

13 things I'd rather do than go to the gym today



I don't usually mind going to the gym. I don't love it, but I will admit to hating it much less than I expected to. On occasion I even sort of like it. More importantly, I know that I need to go. I neglected abused my body for enough years and I'm not getting any younger. Those aches and pains are starting to kick in, I can't take a healthy body for granted any longer. That said, I just plain don't feel like going today. In fact, I'd rather be doing just about anything else, including:

1. Getting a massage. I am in dire dire need...

2. Going out to lunch and eat something sinfully rich. Of course then I'd need to go to the gym even more.

3. Taking a nap. Why don't adults get to take naps?

4. Going out for a coffee with a girlfriend.

5. Working. Nope, I think I'd pick the gym over that one.

6. Going shoe shopping. Much as I hate to admit it, summer is winding down and I'm going to have to pack away all of my beloved sandals for another year.

7. Making a Thursday Thirteen list. Oops, I've already done that.

8. Visiting others' Thursday Thirteens and following up on all the interesting blogs I find. Yup, much more fun than the gym.

9. Making Sun-Dried Tomato Aioli Dip for tonight's GNI.

10. Making Spicy Dill Dip for tonight's GNI.

11. Cutting up vegetables to go with the dip.

12. Packing Itai's roller-hockey gear for this afternoon's practice, including a bag of tricks to keep Maya occupied in case we stay.

And last but not least, instead of going to the gym today I'd rather be doing...

13. Just about anything.
But wait, it gets better. Go here to find out what actually happened today...







Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



38 comments:

Jo said...

LOL........I start again on Monday with not one but two gym buddies to keep me on track. Wonder how long it will last?

Anonymous said...

Hubby and I take a nap on weekends. We'd be dysfunctional if we don't!

Hmmm..I want to eat something really rich right now!!

BTW, I don't go to the gym but I bellydance at home.I sweat and at the same time, have lots of fun.

Emmyrose said...

Great excuses ;)

happy TT!

Nancy said...

Massage ....ahhh, I need to schedule one!

Enjoy the day how ever you spend it =)

Anonymous said...

I joined a gym once. One year membership. I never went after January.

I do have a Gazelle at home, but it's currently folded up in the living room. Yep, I'm very much losing this battle of the bulge.

Happy TT!

MaR said...

I start again in october. Until then I can think of plenty of other things to do too! Enjoyed reading your creative list.
Happy tt!

Darla said...

LOL! If I depended on going to the gym, I'd never exercise. It's just so much hassle. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much when I'm on vacation!

Ivÿ said...

wow! those are really great things to do in exchange for not stretching the muscles in the gym. ;)

mine's up at Dear Me.

have fun!

Head Gaggler said...

Great list. Those excuses sound so like what I would rather do than exercise.

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

I won't tell you that I went out to lunch today with a girlfriend and had chocolate mousse for dessert - nope I won't tell you that.

Ann Aguirre said...

Naps are good. I endorse naps.

Anonymous said...

LOL...can you go to the gym and take a nap on the floor while "stretching"? that's what i try to do...ha ha...i wrote a response to your comment on my post, i left it there because it thought it was interesting enough to share:-)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I'm not buying it... the gym is a fun place to be! But I need a massage, too. Badly. I might be approaching emergency status, in fact.

As for my place, you'll definitely get more Lyric. Maybe not on the blog, but I'm working on a book about her. And Graciella? Really? That'd be as much fun as Chelle. I'll have to see what I can do; feel free to start a campaign to make me do it!

Believer in Balance said...

I too would rather do a lot of other things than go to the gym, but I know it's time...right after I organize my sock drawer...:)

Lori said...

I can relate with you on that one. Im 40 and have started working out 4 days a week. I hate the anticipation of going, but once im there, I feel much better:) Great list...it made me laugh!! Happy TT.

Denise Patrick said...

I see that you eventually went - good for you. I don't like to go either, but I really NEED to lose some weight, and since I don't want to change my eating habits too drastically, the best way is to step up the exercise.

Thanks for visiting my TT!

Anonymous said...

I don't feel like going to the gym today, either. I'm doing TTs instead.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I love how the second thing on your list is eating something sinfully rich! I say go for it.

tanabata said...

Good excuses! I'm terrible at procrastinating and naps are great! We really should have them more often.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for getting to that gym when you didn't want to. And I take naps all the time. But I'm weird so don't go by me. Wrote the dip recipes down because they sound so good! Great TT.

Unknown said...

Naps are a must. Naps should've been written into the Constitution!

Janet said...

Hopefully, you've just provided me the inspiration I need to GET.MY.FA.TO.THE.GYM by this post! Thank you!

Sparky Duck said...

Well since you went to the gym, screw the gym is out as a comment, but heck lets talk dip

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

First of all, I've been known to nap... and at last check... oh, never mind... I'm forty, but HARDLY an adult.

L^2 said...

I've never liked going to the gym either, so I try to do as much of my workout at home as I can. I really wish I had a pool so I could swim my laps at home. :-)

Spy Scribbler said...

You know, I was just thinking how hard it was to come up with thirteen things. But I bet, if I tried to come up with thirteen reasons to procrastinate working out? Hah! Easy-Peasy!

Happy TT!

Eimi said...

Hey Robin!! =)

These are great things to do! Who says naps are for kids? I take them all the time!

Susan Demeter said...

A nap sounds sooo good right now! Thanks so much for stopping by, and happy TT :)

erin said...

I live for Sunday afternoon naps. And I need a massage, too. :) Happy TT! Mine is words that describe me.

http://stephenanderin.blogspot.com

impwork said...

Sounds like life was telling you to go foe a walk instead :-)

Anonymous said...

You always have the tastiest recipes.

I am in dire need of both a nap and a massage.

Very creative list.

Robin said...

Joy, Sparky, Christine and anyone else interested in the dips :-) -- the dill dip was a HUGE hit. The sun-dried tomato one was good but VERY garlicky. I'd go down to just 3-4 cloves of garlic next time, the full amount overpowered the tomatoes a bit too much. No need to worry about vampires tonight though.

Robin said...

Whoa, it's 1:30am already. I started going around to all of your TT's when I got home from GNI (it was fantastic as always btw), but it's suddenly gotten very late and I'm exhausted.

To be continued tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

I could go for the massage, the nap, the coffee... lost of them.

Marilyn said...

The gym costs too much for me... but I did love going back when I had the cash. Now I work out at home, but there was something nice about getting out. I just wished they'd turn the darned TV's off (too bad yours didn't have them on when you needed one). They were always so loud I couldn't hear my music. Now I can work out and hear whatever I want. I guess that's good.

Robin said...

Thankfully at my gym the tv's are individual - you were your own headphones and you control the channel and the volume. No more being stuck watching someone else's boring Hebrew talk show. And I usually have an mp3 player which drowns out the gym's crappy pop music with my own choices. The headphones create my own little world, I really rely on that.

Tink said...

I'd love to go to the gym, but I understand your list. You're excused! ;-)
Thanks for visiting my Mabon TT.

J. Lynne said...

I'm all for daily napping. Why does napping end in kindergarten? They don't even appreciate it.