Saturday, May 26, 2007

Sleepless in Seattle

That's not technically true. It's 12:37am here in Seattle and I am in fact exhausted and more than ready to fall asleep, but I couldn't resist the chance to blog from bed our tent the van we are sleeping in. I'm lying on an air mattress in the back of a Chrysler Town & Country the size of a whale. It's actually surprisingly comfortable as a "tent on wheels" and I'm glad we ended up deciding to go for it. I'm even gladder that my kids are happy sleeping in the trailer with my folks, because while this is cozy for two it would be unbearable for four.

We're having a blast here in Seattle. We've been to the incredibly kid-friendly Odyssey Maritime Museum (loads of hands-on exhibits), to a fantastic children's museum, and to the annual Northwest Folk Life Festival (music was so-so, probably because it was the first afternoon of a long festival, with the bigger acts coming over the weekend, but the atmosphere was fun and we did some great shopping at the crafts market) and to an Indian village on an island for a salmon bake and traditional song and dance exhibition. We've also been spending a lot of time with a dear friend we haven't seen in years and have been sampling the local seafood, wine and beer.

We've got one more day in Seattle before saying goodbye to my sister and her family who are flying back to Massachusetts and before Jay and I head out for some much needed grownup time at an inn in Victoria BC. No idea what comes after that, we haven't planned that far ahead yet.

Still no pictures, I haven't had a chance to upload them yet, but I'll hopefully do that soon.

Have a great weekend everyone, wherever you are.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds delightful. Like you've written, Seattle has some wonderful places for kids.

deedee said...

Glad to "hear" from you. Did your son have a good time in the kindergarten class he visited? Enjoy your grown-up weekend, I'm just a little green about that :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!!

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Your trip sounds fun! And, you know what they say: "If the Chrysler Town & Country is rockin', don't come a'knockin'!

Kim said...

Are you in a van down by the river?! Oh, I crack myself up......

Sounds like a great trip for the whole family.

David Edward said...

have a fun weekend, sounds great!

Terri said...

Sucks you'll be in Canada, but still too far away. Any chances of heading about 2 days east and coming to Saskatchewan???? LOL