Friday, December 7, 2007

All about me me me

I enjoyed Meredith's interview over at Poppy Fields a few weeks ago so much that I asked her to send me some questions too. And now weeks later here they are (sorry Meredith, it's been nuts around here lately).

So now without further ado...

1) You may have already posted this story once, but how did you meet your husband?

Jay and I met in college when I was a freshman and he was a junior. We were both invited to a planning meeting of the campus' Zionist student organization. We met, dated all through college, got married and actually moved to Israel. In other words, we were their perfect poster children LOL. Actually, we both ended up very involved in the organization's activities and my college years wouldn't have been the same without them. It's amazing how idealistic you can be at 20...

2) If money wasn't an issue, where would you like to live and what would you be doing there?


I fantasize about a life of the idly wealthy. I'd have a gorgeous penthouse on the beach in Tel Aviv, another in Manhattan with a view of the park, a villa on some tropical island (Greece? Thailand? the BVI? the possibilities fantasies are endless), a gorgeous big light Parisian apartment, and (yes AND) a small estate somewhere in Tuscany. Oh, and the yacht. Can't forget the superyacht. Such lovely daydreams, so very far from reality...

I copied this off another interview I read, but I like the question so...
3) What was your favorite board game as a child and why?


I was never a huge fan of board games, but I loved playing
Mille Bornes. Hmm, maybe I'll buy a set and teach my son to play.

Because I think I'm a foodie...
4) What is your favorite holiday food and can you share the recipe please?


I'm a foodie too, but in truth the holidays are not my favorite food-wise. I'm all about traditional food on the holidays but very far from that the rest of the year. My own cooking style tends to be a lot more ethnic, spicier, and just plain more fun. I'll cheat here and say that my favorite holiday dessert at the moment is this flourless chocolate cake. It's from the Gluten-Free Goddess, and if this particular recipe is any indication she is truly a goddess - it's divine. Good enough in fact that I made it again for Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) despite the fact that I could have used all the flour I wanted for that one. I'm also incredibly proud of myself for finally figuring out that the gluten-free websites would be a great source of flour-free Passover desserts. I was desperate for a change from fruit compote and Aunt Sadie's peach cobbler... If I really had to pick a traditional dish it would be my chicken soup with matza balls. They're damn good, if I do say so myself:

(Everyone knows how to make chicken broth, so I'll leave that bit out and just give the recipe for the matza balls.)

Robin's Matza Balls
Makes about 12, can be easily doubled (or even tripled if you're expecting a crowd)

4 large eggs
1/2 cup water
6 Tbl (85g) melted margarine
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 C matza meal (basically matza flour, it's easily available in Jewish areas around Passover)

In a medium-sized bowl beat the eggs, water, margarine, salt and pepper with a fork until blended. Stir in matza meal. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour so the matza meal can absorb the liquid (and to make it easier to work with).

2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Reduce heat so it's boiling gently.

3. REMOVE ALL OF YOUR RINGS (you'll thank me for this one later)

4. Wet your hands with cold water. Roll matza mixture into 2" (or so) balls

5. Carefully drop into water with a slotted spoon. Wait for all matza balls to rise to the surface (if any are stubborn give them a nudge with a spoon). Cook for about 10 or 15 minutes more, until they look lighter in color and a bit "fluffy". Drain and cool.

6. Replace your rings before they get lost. (you're welcome)

7. Add to soup. Heat and serve.

That was fun. Anyone else want to play along? Let me know if you do and I'll send you some questions.

12 comments:

Maddy said...

Thanks for the reminder about 'remove rings!'

I love these things, they're like a sneak view into life.
Best wishes

This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.

Anonymous said...

I'd be glad to. :)

Linda
http://www.ravensroads.com

Julia Phillips Smith said...

That was great, Robin! I especially loved 'It's amazing how idealistic you can be at 20...' LOL! I think that's why most protesters are youngish types. They're old enough to be shocked at some of the ways of the world, keen enough to want to do something about it, and most importantly not jaded enough to think 'why bother?'

I'd love to do this one.

Jo said...

Nice q&a.

Robin said...

Here you go, have fun with them:

1. When you were a young child what did you want to be when you grew up? How close/far from that are you today?

2. If you suddenly discovered a lamp with an actual genie in it, what would your three wishes be and why?

3. What is the furthest from home you've ever been?

4. What is your favorite comfort food? Do you have a recipe to share?

If anyone else wants to answer considered yourselves tagged as well, and leave a link to your blog so I can come by for a read.

sandierpastures said...

These are fun q & a. I like #1. It'll be fun to answer any questions you throw on me Robin! So, shoot! :-)
-- Grace
http://sandierpastures.com

K Allrich said...

Hi Robin!

Fun post- and thanks for the shout-out on my flourless chocolate cake! A treat to stumble upon it.

Take care!

Karina

Jen said...

I think I may kiss you, I love matza balls with a wild passion. These I will make. :)

Unknown said...

Do we answer the questions you already wrote here in the comments or are you doing questions for each person? I definitely want to play along! :)

Robin said...

I thought it would be fun for everyone to answer the same ones, but if you want different ones that's cool too. Either way, if you pass this along you give the ones who get questions from you new ones.

deedee said...

Thanks for answering my questions. I will try the matzo balls in a soup soon!

Fourier Analyst said...

Just love finding out more about you! You are so much fun!!