Monday, December 17, 2007

It's Not Christmas...

The topic for Scribbit's December Write-Away contest is "My Favorite Day". I'm guessing that this time of year will have a lot of people thinking of Christmas as their favorite day. Christmas, or perhaps the day their children were born, that's always another popular choice (and rightfully so, though not mine because I couldn't possibly pick one over the other - and besides, if you know me you'll know that my birth stories are not exactly serene, but that's a story for another day...) Wedding anniversaries are always a hit too.

I've been kicking this subject around in my head for a while now and it just wasn't coming together for me. I thought about choosing Israeli Independence Day (May 18th this year), a favorite holiday of mine, especially joyful coming on the heels of the very somber Memorial Day and marking the unofficial start of the beach and barbecue season, or perhaps the first day of a long-awaited family visit, when everyone is so palpably delighted to be together that the air itself practically sings, or perhaps the spring Jacob's Ladder Festival, a highlight of each year, but none of those really felt like they could live up to the burden of being my very FAVORITE day. The day that overshadows all the others. That's an awfully big burden. If you choose one special day, what happens to all the rest? Wouldn't the following morning have to be an incredible let-down by definition? How do you keep going after The Very Best Day? Where do you find the magic?

I'm going to do something a bit different instead.

In keeping with my belief that it's not the events, it's the moments, I'm going to look for something in each new day to cherish. Something that makes that day different from any other one. It could be the joy I feel watching my children play together, or quiet time on the couch with my husband, or a sleepy "I love you Mommy". It could be a phone call from an old friend, or an e-mail from a new one. Maybe it will be a special dinner out, or a beautiful sunset, or my daughter's face as she flies higher and higher on the swing, ready to touch the sky. Yesterday it was the look of joy and relief on my son's face when he realized that I recognized and understood a struggle he was having and offered a graceful way out. This morning it was watching him dash into school without a care, ready to take the world by storm.

I can't wait to see what it will be this afternoon, or tomorrow, or next week. There are so many favorite days out there, just waiting to happen, and I will be right there to delight in the joy of each and every one.

12 comments:

Scribbit said...

I knew someone who used to record in a journal each day the little "miracles" they'd seen in their life that day and I always thought that was an excellent idea.

Shannon said...

Hi! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! I love to "meet" new readers. I love this post and I am inspired to do the same. I know that reminding ourselves of the small (and large) wonders of everyday helps maintain a grateful heart - which I find ever so important! I look forward to reading more about you!

Jen said...

Well said. I try to remember the moments, but they tend to get swept aside in the craziness of the days. Something to work on.

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

I don't think I could pick a favorite day. There is so much in our lives that makes us who we are as a whole that I suppose we need to be thankful for each experience and have the attitude that they are all our favorite.

Gill said...

Moments are all we have. We better start paying attention! I loved this post. Even though I am a holiday gal, I love Christmas. But the moments, the little precious ones, especially coming from our children, those ones deserve to be celebrated!!
xo
Gillian

Jen said...

Ohhhh you are so right. It is the unexpected moments that just up and grab us.

Claremont First Ward said...

I left a comment this morning, but maybe it wasn't meant to be. I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed the time I spent on your blog this morning and for the great post about the everyday things that are great.

Jo said...

a lovely post, these are the things that count

Lea said...

Robin, I love this, what you have said here... I think you might remember that I am one of those who keeps a little journal by my bed at night, and record five things from the day that brought me joy and gratitude, the little "miracles" as scribbit said... When I too look at the days, it isn't the holiday or the meaning, but what I do with it.

Pieces of Me said...

Very well said. I'm determined to make this a life's goal - beginning with the New Year.

Daisy said...

What a wonderful outlook!

Fourier Analyst said...

Darlin', you are inspiring!