Monday, December 3, 2007

I Promise...

... too many things to too many different people.

Sure, I can handle that project.

Sure, I could use the extra hours.

By tomorrow morning? Sure, no problem.

Sure, I can bake something for the bake sale.

Sure, I can make it to that appointment.

Sure, you can invite friends over. Just do it after I've finished chauffeuring your sister/brother around town.

Sure, I'll type out and send you that very long and complicated recipe you asked for.

More work on the project? No problem.

Sure, I can finish up the gift buying. What do you mean Hannukah starts this evening? How can that be? Sure, no problem, I can manage.

Sure, I can sit with Maya every evening to help her fall asleep. So what if it's been taking over an hour of active intervention. I've got all the time in the world, right?

Sure, I know it's my turn to do the dishes.

Two hours on the breastfeeding hotline? Tomorrow? (Oh crap.) Sure, I can do that.

Stop working early to bring Maya to speech? No problem.

Attend your office holiday party? (Dear god not that. Please let it not be as awful as last year.) Sure, no problem. I'll get a sitter.

Still more documents to write for the project? Sure. Absolutely. I'm on it.

And then I wonder why I just want to collapse when the weekend rolls around... Don't worry, I'm fine, just exhausted. I'm just feeling very overextended this month, that's all.


Look here to see others' hopefully more optimistic promises.

30 comments:

Whitesnake said...

Life is like that!
I promise!

mother in israel said...

Why go again to the party? I bet no one will miss you. Or just make an appearance and an excuse.

Rambler said...

Sometimes it is the love for the person which makes us promise these things, I am sure you would have enjoyed many of this, even though it made you stretch :)

Robin said...

Spouses are really expected to attend, especially spouses of senior management. It's a bit of a command performance. I've already told my husband though that if they'll be doing karaoke again that night that I plan to have a migraine!

Mostly it's the work stuff that's kicking my butt right now, but that isn't high stress all that often, so fair enough. I'm just out of the habit LOL.

whymommy said...

Argh. Sounds like a busy, busy week. I hope you can find some time for yourself in there. Even if it's just thinking about stuff you want to think about while your daughter is falling asleep. I often find peace that way....

gautami tripathy said...

Promise yourself that you need to take it easy!

Nicholas said...

I'm sure you'll manage it it all splendidly!

Keith's Ramblings said...

I'm exhausted from reading it!

Jo said...

I need a nap now, how do you do it?

Nancy said...

Join me for a martini?
SURE you can *wink*

deedee said...

I despise my husband's company's annual family Christmas outing. Last year, I substituted my sil in my place, but this year I'm going...:(

paisley said...

every time i come here i am consumed.. i cannot imagine living on such a fast track.. i am glad there are people like you that will do it,, as if it were left to people like me,, i am afraid we would all be forced to live a much simpler existance.....

Robin said...

Right now I'm not sure that's such a bad thing Paisley. I could do with some simplifying myself...

LaLa said...

Oh...hope you catch up soon. I say skip the party....lol

Unknown said...

I know how you feel! I'm constantly scrambling just to get "normal" things done. Big hugs!

Janet said...

Here's a hug :-)

Liza on Maui said...

Oh I can relate! Here's another HUG.

Promise us you'll find some time to rest this week :)

Mary Timme said...

No, is such a simple word. My life changed when I learned to use it! It works even better as a chilly 'no thank you.'

Head Cookie said...

Ahhh the familiar sound of the day and life of a mom's world. Nicely done.

Lea said...

Robin, I had this image of all those promises packed into a little box, a tiny one. And the whole day stretched out... just for you. Happy Hanukkah, you are a light in my life...

Preethi said...

whew ... all this in one day... you do need to take it easy and relax.. promise yourself that!!
lovely post... wonderful take on the prompt

Lucy said...

we all forget to make an important 'promise' to ourselves... Take care of yourself Take some 'me' time.. no offense meant to men.. but Especially Women... We never say no and we need to become a bit more focused on ourselves for a change.
Start with a bubble bath! happy Hanukkah!

Jen said...

Yeah, I hear ya. It never ends, huh?

Mel said...

((HUGS)) Robin - I hope life settles down soon.

Tumblewords: said...

The promise.....this, too, shall pass. I feel your stress!

Marja said...

Sometimes it is the thought that counts. We would like to do all these things and get caught up in it. Thanks

Beau Brackish said...

I'm exhausted reading your list. I tend to over promise and stretch myself out too thin. It is a bad habit to have working in the legal profession. People do take advantage.

UL said...

Oh Robin, I relate to this one hundred percent!! Someone recently asked me "what is the one thing I would like to have very badly? " Time and more time - was my answer. Time to do absolutely nothing - btw - you missed out the deadlines on these weekly prompts. But then, we do find time when we really need it. I think I will be bored if I can no longer have this routine! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Babe, I am totally the same. But with the bed thing, use it to your advantage. I sit with Boo for around 2-4 hours a night. I used to hate it but I use the time now to catch up with my bloggy buddies!

Kelley

http://magnetoboldtoo.wordpress.com

Rob Kistner said...

It sounded very much like you needed to vent Robin -- and it made for interesting reading... and all too familiar. ;)