Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Yom Kippur - The Day of Atonement

.
Reposted from last year. After all, it still holds just as true.

The Yom Kippur holiday is about to begin. Already you can feel the pace of life slowing down. All the windows are open but there is little noise. Traffic is becoming more sporadic. the airport has already closed and with it the noise of the planes. Tones are more muted. The most prevalent sound is the quiet clink of dishes in the kitchens of those preparing their final pre-fast meal. Soon that too will be replaced by the quiet conversations of strolling adults, the whirr of bicycle wheels, and the happy sounds of children let loose on the streets.

The mood is becoming more introspective, more contemplative. Neighbors wish each other a "good inscription" for the coming year, or an easy fast. Fasting or not Yom Kippur lets you, even encourages you, to stop for a day and take stock. We could all do worse.
.

14 comments:

Jill said...

Oh I'm so sad that I'm missing my favorite holiday in Israel!

Shana Tova - have a fabulous day tomorrow. Take an extra spin on your bike for me.

Marinka said...

You're right--everyone benefits from introspection, taking stock. I hope that it is a meaningful day tomorrow.

catsynth said...

Gmar Hatima Tovah
A day for introspection would be good. Though, I fear today will be as fast as others...

Genny said...

Stop for a day and take stock...I love it. And I love how you said you could already feel the pace slowing down. I've been really trying to focus on that lately!

Head Gaggler said...

It would be surreal to be in Israel for this holiday. Hope your day is a good one with an easy fast.

Maddy said...

Any quiet at all would be very welcome around here. I should certainly pause a while my self and try and take stock rather than keep rushing around like a headless chicken.
Best wishes

Anonymous said...

Since I am not Jewish, I'm not sure at the proper greeting is, but a blessed Yom Kippur!

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

I always learn so much from your posts - I need to get back on the ball and stop by more often.

Anonymous said...

I am beginning to think that Boo is on to a good thing, you know?

Sounds blissful.

Janet said...

Enjoy your day!

mimi11460 said...

That's all about Yom kippur. Christian doesn't have this kind of activity we don't practice fasting though our Muslim brothers have their Ramadan. Thanks for sharing..

Mia Celeste said...

It's a great idea to spend some time in reflection, and take stock of where you are in life. Hope you have a peaceful Yom Kippur.

anthonynorth said...

I know a little of Yom Kippur, and it is a good day. I'm not Jewish either, so don't know the greeting.
I hope this is alright:

Shalom

Robin said...

Shalom will always be right - it means hello, goodbye, and peace.