Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Turning a corner?

The past few days have been good. Not quite as wonderful as Friday, but definitely good. I'm really hoping we're over the worst of it, at least for now. Having a few better days has given me the chance to refill my proverbial cup though, and I feel calmer and more able to handle whatever comes.

Maya has in fact been doing some of the things her therapist was concerned that she wasn't showing interest in (playing with dolls, etc.). As usual, she's just on her own timetable and likes to keep us guessing. She's been that way all her life. At 10 months the nurse was concerned that she wasn't pulling to standing in her crib and threatened occupational therapy if she hadn't done it by her 12 month visit. Little stinker went home and did it that very afternoon!

We also had a major lightbulb moment the other day when Jay suddenly realized that the very worst of her behavior had corresponded with our instructing her preschool not to keep napping her each day. She was suddenly without that extra 90 minutes of sleep (which at four years old she really doesn't need and which was killing us when she didn't want to sleep at night) but she hadn't adjusted her nighttime schedule either, so she was in fact even more sleep-deprived than usual. This for a child whose parents defined "not enough sleep" as a key issue. Well duh! Gee, do you think that might have been a factor! Idiots. She's got idiots for parents. (Not to mention all the professionals who kept insisting that our trip to Italy was the reason, despite the fact that the trouble didn't start for several weeks after we returned! Asshats.)

In any case, we seem to be on a more even keel now, long may it remain.

Here's to a better 2008.

(Oh, and just for added fun Itai woke up with a bad cold and complaining of a sore throat and upset stomach this morning. He was supposed to have a math test today, but since he's very confident about that I don't think it factored in. This is the first time he's actually asked to stay home sick so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and sent him back to bed, and an hour later he's still sound asleep.)

13 comments:

Jo said...

Happy new year, my friend, may every day get better and better (and yes, sounds to me like sleep was a factor, Theo is the exact same way, heck Michael too). Hope Itai is all better soon.
xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!!

You said 'asshat' *snort* I lurve you even more now....

Happy New Year gorgeous. Here is to a year of many more turning of corners.

Mel said...

I know O is horrible without enough sleep (I have to say we never experience it with F as she somehow manages to sleep at least 13, sometimes 16h a day - even at 3!!) I hope he days continue to show that a corne has indeed been turned!

Happy new Year Robin!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that things are looking up. And I hope that Itai feels better soon.

Happy New Year!!

Janet said...

Happy New Year to you and yours, Robin! Hope Itai is feeling better soon, poor thing.

Carol Anne said...

not enough sleep, not enough structure and not enough food three things sure to set Galileo off. Hope Maya continues to get better and better!

LaLa said...

Happy New Year!! Glad you got her sleep schedule figured out...you aren't idiots but they are asshats!

Jen said...

Happy New year - it will be a good one, I can feel it.

Claremont First Ward said...

I'm glad things are looking up. It always amazes me how I can have 5 children yet be completely clueless sometimes....I have those light bulb moments more often than I'd like to admit.

Anonymous said...

Oh, good. I'm so glad things are looking up a bit. I know sleep is such an issue. Things are going to get ugly here in a few hours when sleep deprivation smacks the boys upside the head. They were up veddy veddy late last night, up at the buttcrack of dawn today...bedtime may be 6:30 this evening! :) I hope 2008 is the turning point for you guys and Maya.

Lea said...

Happy new year Robin and here's to all the wonderful things just around the corner, one step at a time...

Fairly Odd Mother said...

I long for a 90 minute nap every day!

Glad she is doing better now with more sleep. And, Happy New Year (or Sylvester! I told my mom this---she is Austrian--and she said they call it the same in her country---go figure! I never knew this!)

Shannon said...

I am so happy to hear that Maya's days have been better. More to come I am sure! I hope Itai feels better soon - see you're not so clueless. You called that one right! We win some and miss some sometimes. Isn't that what parenting is all about?!