Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Where is Thumbkin?


My daughter really dislikes getting her fingernails trimmed. None of the usual song and dance routines worked, she still fought it every time. In desperation one day I decided to try singing a new song and from some under-utilized recess of my mind I called up the lyrics to Where is Thumbkin. And what do you know, it worked! She really liked the fact that each finger got its own verse. By the second time we did it, she was singing along, and when she realized that I'd been cutting faster than I was singing she made me go back to be sure no finger's verse was skipped.

A little thing, but it worked.

Visit Rocks In My Dryer for more good tips, and while you're at it check out the craziness going on over at Bloggy Giveaways - there are more than 600 different bloggers participating in this round of the carnival with an unbelievable assorted of stuff on offer! You can find my tea set giveaway here.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a really neat idea! We don't have kids yet, but I have always worried about this aspect of caring for a little one. We'll try this if we need to. Thank you.

Nancy said...

Great idea.
Maybe doing it right out of a bath, when they are real soft,will make it easier on you too.

Robin said...

We always do it right after a bath, and I certainly agree that that makes it much easier. Given how long she soaks though, I'm surprised the darn things don't just melt right off!

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Great idea! My middle's nails get to be soooo long. Her fingers are TINY and every time I go to cut them, I have flashbacks to when I cut off part of her thumb as a baby. Yes. . .really.

Irene said...

Great idea. Of course, my kids hate it too. I do try to do it in the bath, but even that doesn't work always. I will definitely have to remember the song!

Janet said...

Wish that would work with my dog!!!

TnMomTo3 said...

What a great idea!!

Of course, my girls get excited when they see the nail clippers come out. They want me to clip them to the point of just falling off and then they like to pull the nail off by themselves. Yes, I have strange children. LOL

Anonymous said...

Katelyn doesn't like her nails trimmed either, but she loves singing. I'll be sure and try this with her.

Thanks for the fun idea.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I wish that would work around here!

Actually, I exaggerate [as always] This is [almost] no longer an issue, instead we have 'I do it by myself' and pray that there's not too much blood!
Cheers

Shannon said...

I just love that story. It reminds me that all you have to do is make it fun. I am not very good at that. I am going to work on it!

Anonymous said...

Dang, wish I'd done this with A. It's finally no longer a trauma. We used to bribe him with cookies. I did come up a "snip snip" song, but we had already been through the wringer.