Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Take time for you, too

That's my WFMW tip, or rather reminder, for today. When you're feeling overwhelmed or strung out, or just can't stand to hear one more whiny word, give yourself permission to take time off. Leave the children with your husband or another willing victim babysitter for the evening and head out the door.

If you're lucky, a girlfriend will be available. Even better, she'll have a great chick flick waiting. I recommend Hairspray, it worked wonders on my mood tonight, and watching it with a good friend was just what I needed to come home feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on the world again.

Even if a girlfriend isn't available, don't miss your chance. Grab your laptop or a good book and head out to your local coffee shop and just clear your head for a while.

Because you need it, and you're worth it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya!! I need some time off. No girlfriend to run to though. So if ever I'll have my time off in the future (I hope it's not ten years away), I'll probably grab a book and head on to Starbucks. I don't know, I don't even like coffee...just intrigued by that place. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks babe. I do believe I will! Somehow...

Does locking yourself in the cupboard with a bag of chocolates count?

Nancy said...

Best reminder ever!

Take time to recharge your own batteries so you can keep up with each day.

Good post Robin =)

Claremont First Ward said...

Fabulous reminder. I love how you wrote "give yourself permission". That's an easy concept to forget.......

Unknown said...

Excellent advice!

Phyllis Sommer said...

great post, as always. i agree, it's so important to escape...

Shannon said...

Amen sister! And I agree that you MUST leave the house. If everyone's house runs like mine, there is no "me" time while within shouting distance - Unless everyone else is gone:)

Terri said...

Corey doesn't understand why I leave for work early.....that's why. It's my recharging time. I enjoy the drive, listen to music, belt out a few songs to the best of my ability. Terri Time!

Janet said...

Excellent post! Even those of us without children *but with elderly parent(s)* do this :-)

Prats said...

Got here from writer's and must say you've got a nice blog here..
And yeah....I agree all of us need to take time off....

head towards the nearest favourite outlet...

Robin said...

Thanks Prats, and welcome.

Totallyscrappy said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

This is a great tip. Too many parents forget to take time for themselves.