Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Woman Of Valor

A woman of valor, who can find
Her worth is more precious than rubies*

So says a poem that is often recited at the start of the Jewish Sabbath. When I hear these lines, I usually think of my grandmother, remembering how they were spoken at her funeral so many years ago. I remember listening to the rabbi praise her virtues as we mourned. My grandmother was indeed a treasure to me, more valuable than any rubies, diamonds or pearls. I have long wished that she could have lived long enough for me to learn more from her, but I was just a young girl when she finally succumbed to the disease that riddled her body.

This week though, those words in praise of a valorous woman bring to mind someone else. Someone much younger. Someone who inspires me each day, who is the kind of parent I can only wish to become. The kind of woman I can only wish to become.

This woman, this very dear friend of mine, is in terrible pain right now. She has been dealt a massive blow, the kind that changes your life forever, and I am utterly unable to find a way to help her. Not only can I not find a way to help lessen her pain, I can't find her at all. After a desperate cry for help she has vanished, unable or unwilling to be found. After days of no response, my mind begins traveling in directions it should never go. Voicing dark thoughts no one should ever give voice, for fear that speaking them might give them wing.

As I send ever stronger messages of love and healing towards her, and leave ever more frantic messages in her inbox and voicemail, I can only hope that she can feel that love wherever she is, and know how very much I care.

And then I really hope she calls and tells me that everything is fine, because I'm worried sick.

The Writers Island prompt for this week is treasure, and if you are out there reading my friend, know that you are truly a treasure to me.

* The correct translation is apparently pearls, but I learned it as rubies, so rubies it shall stay. The particular jewel is irrelevant here in any case.

21 comments:

Rambler said...

Wishing your friend all the best..

"A woman of valor, who can find
Her worth is more precious than rubies"

this reminded me of

Yatra Naryastu Pujyante, Ramante Tatra Devata
This is an ancient saying in sanskrit, the land where the women are respected and honored is the land of the gods..

aMus said...

treasure can mean so many things...

that ia very sad about your friend..hope you get through to her...hope she hears you...

Beau Brackish said...

I hope your friend lets you in to help during her time of need. Wishing good thoughts for your friend.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I hope your friend is okay and I hope she lets you in

Nancy said...

Powerful message, from and to your friend. I pray she is found and allows those reaching out to her to help. You're both in my morning prayers.

paris parfait said...

Your friend is lucky to have you as a friend; I hope she reaches out when she is ready. Troubles shared are troubles halved, my beloved grandmother used to say.

paisley said...

i hope your friend has found peace.. or the path that will lead her to it....

and my gramma was my treasure today too.....

Anonymous said...

Just saw what all this was about. I sure hope she's okay. nightmare.

Janet said...

I hope your friend is ok...

How lucky that the rabbi praised your grandmother's virtues...the minister that did my mother's memorial service mentioned how strong willed she was and that they didn't get along when they first met. Jerk.

Preethi said...

Very powerful.. My prayers are with your friend.. God Help her...

I loved the words
A woman of valor, who can find
Her worth is more precious than rubies*

The treasure

Tumblewords: said...

Wishing you and your friend the best! How sad that she chooses to be unfound when you are so willing to help and find her. Lovely about your grandma!

Anonymous said...

Here are good thoughts for your friend...the one you treasure. I hope she realizes what a treasure YOU are.

Tammy Brierly said...

What a frustrating occurrence and I wish your friend well. Lovely quote!

Phyllis Sommer said...

may your words penetrate her veil and bring comfort and healing to you both. beautiful post.

p.s. i think eyshet chayil is beautiful but often misconstrued. i like to translate "chayil" as "strength" - a woman of strength...aka "superwoman"...which i think takes away the misogynistic tones of the original words in the book of proverbs.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Very powerless feeling to be unable to reach her, but keep trying. Sending you and to her healing wishes.

Lea said...

Me too, sending love to your friend that she can feel your love and support... and to you, for how this affects you and your care and concern for her, that your worry be alieved...

I loved what you wrote about your grandmother... I miss mine so. They were such treasures those beautiful women who made it possible for us to be here...

little wing writer said...

know it as proverbs 31...wow, every sabbath after temple and prior to dinner a man speaks those words...enlightening...what a beautiful remembrance to your dear grandmother...i always think of deborah in judges...i cannot imagine how one feels under those circumstances...pray she returns soon to loving arms of family and friends

Anonymous said...

I hope your friend is ok, Robin. Not sure how I missed this post, but I really hope she finds a way out of this and comes out of it unharmed...

Anonymous said...

I'm catching up a bit on my blog reading and I missed this one earlier. What a beautiful post, and I love how you connect the theme of strong women between your grandmother and your friend.
And I hope and pray that she's safe, and healing. Please let us know!

Fourier Analyst said...

I hope in the mean time your friend has contacted you. I know myself that when you are in the middle of a crisis, your first instinct is to huddle down and you forget sometimes to reach out, even when you can use the help. I hope you have found her and that things are better.

Robin said...

I did, and they are. Sort of. Her family has a very difficult road ahead of them, but they're trying to move forward.

(And wow, you weren't kidding when you said you're catching up FA - you've done a lot of reading today. It's great to have you back.)