Saturday, January 12, 2008

No Knead Beer Bread


For those of us who are not Jay amateur artisan bakers. Easy, impressive (yes, it does look and taste like "real" bread, even slices well too), and very tasty...

I threw this bread together yesterday for a playgroup afternoon I was hosting and served it to rave reviews. Most people ate it with the sun-dried tomato cream cheese I put out, but it was also really good with just a bit of butter (or for that matter with the mango chutney I spread on the leftover end this afternoon).

Ingredients

1 standard size (12oz / 33oml) can of beer or malt beer - ordinary Maccabi seems to work best if you can get it
3 cups flour
1 packet (12g or approximately 2tsp) baking powder
1 tbl sugar
1 tsp salt
Optional:

  • "Something" to throw into the dough. I used about 1/4 cup of chopped black olives. Chopped nuts would also work well.
  • "Something else" to sprinkle over the top - I used sunflower seeds
Method
Mix everything together (took about 2 minutes in my stand mixer).
Pour into greased loaf pan.
Bake 30 minutes at 350F (180C).

Note: I accidentally used a larger size can of beer but other than having to bake the loaf significantly longer (which is probably why the top cracked) and having it smell slightly of beer you'd never notice. I like a forgiving recipe...

10 comments:

Janet said...

THANK you for this recipe! I've been making this bread using a pampered chef box mix and this is so much cheaper :-)

I sprinkle just a tiny bit of olive oil on top and then some rosemary salt. YUM! Makes great sandwiches.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I may have to print this out after a serious rethink. I'm just back from the UK where a large loaf of bread is 79 pence. With the current exchange rate that's about $1.60. The bread I buy at the supermarket [the one kind that everyone eats] is $3.89 unless it's on offer.
Cheers

Lilight said...

Wow...sounds so easy. I'm going to try it and surprise Edil when he comes home later. He's a bread lover. Thanks!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

The baked-in olives and sun-dried tomato cream cheese is really making me hungry! Yum.

Anonymous said...

I despise beer.

With a passion that knows no bounds.

But I ADORE beer bread! Thanks for the reminder to go and dig out my to die for beer bread recipe with sweet potato. *swoon*

Something to take my mind off the chocolate whispering sweet nothings from the fridge ;)

pussreboots said...

I've been meaning to look up a beer bread recipe. I've bookmarked yours. Now I just have to remember to buy beer as it's not something I drink.

Phyllis Sommer said...

i have a similar recipe that i got in a magazine -- so delish! thanks for the reminder, i think i might make it tonight!

Shannon said...

I am so excited to try this! Sounds wonderful with the sundried tomato cream cheese. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ooohh, I like Shannon's idea with Sundried tomatoes. I'm all for NO kneading bread. Thank you for this recipe! Sprinkled with Rosemary sounds really nice.

AscenderRisesAbove said...

that is absolutely wonderful. thanks

ascenderrisesabove.com/wordpress