Tuesday, July 10, 2007

(Still no titles. Well this one would have been titled "The Internet Bridge". Harumph.)


To me, the most wonderful thing about the internet is how small it's made the world. Not only because it has enabled the creation of wonderful communities, bringing together people who live hundreds and even thousands of miles apart, not only because it has brought all of the world's information to my kitchen table (information on breast cancer? potty training? developmental disorders? peach pie recipes? The possibilities are endless...).

To me, what is most incredible is the way the internet can build bridges. The best way to conquer fear and prejudice is to get to know someone. To look them in the eye, or at least in the blog, and say "I recognize your humanity," and "I see how much we have in common, let's learn more about each other." With the internet, individuals can find each other even if they are from countries whose leaders haven't yet found the courage to look for common ground instead of remaining apart. One of the biggest thrills I have as a blogger is to see that someone from a country that won't recognize mine is reading my blog and seeing me as a person, a woman, a mother, not just as an Israeli or an American (at least I hope you are and that you're not here because my hackneyed writing is providing a great virtual dartboard LOL). Welcome, and please, let's build that bridge together, one stone at a time. I would love to hear from you (even anonymously) and have a chance to personally extend my hand in friendship, to learn what makes you smile each day, what challenges you face, what makes you who you are. Each bridge built makes the world a little bit smaller, and a whole lot better.

And of course it goes without saying that this holds true for all of you, wherever you are, whoever you are. Take the plunge, delurk. I'd love to hear from you. Come on in, take off your shoes, grab a seat around the island and settle in for a chat. It'll be fun. And the coffee's on me.

7 comments:

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Well, I'm not 'delurking' since I've lurked for quite a while, but I'm glad there are people like you willing to build those bridges. We need 'em!

Nancy said...

What a beautiful post!

I concur, think of how many people have connected via the internet, and extended that into real time.

Enjoy the day =)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

You go, girl!

I've been saying similar things for a LONG time now. Glad to hear them being echoed.

Tikkun Olam, right? Heal the world, and what better place to start than right here.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I like mine with hot milk and one sugar please... Thanks for your comment on The Daily Tiffin.
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Well pull up a chair for me!

Robin said...

I've got the coffee going now :). Cake, anyone?

Unknown said...

Lovely post and yes, I've connected with so many people. It's easier when we write isn't it?