Saturday, July 28, 2007

Those Hazy, Crazy, Not So Lazy Days of Summer

It feels like we've been dragging Maya from appointment to appointment lately (yes, I know, I still owe you all a post on that. It's harder than it should be to bring myself to write. Harder than the circumstances warrant.) Anyway, it feels lately like we've been racing from evaluation to evaluation with her. For the most part, the sessions involve an element of play, but they're still hard on her and I wish to hell they weren't necessary.

So all that is a long-winded way of saying that we decided that Maya needed some extra fun in her life, so we planned a very kid-friendly day especially with her in mind. We lazed around at home for the morning, then took the kids to see Ratatouille (very cute I must say). After the movie we hit the beach for a bit (very convenient having a beach - and the Mediterranean at that - right in the middle, or more precisely at the edge of, the city. We've been having a heat wave the past few days and the beach was MOBBED. Nevermind though, the conditions were perfect - gentle waves and water warm enough to put in a bathtub. That's my kind of day at the beach. After the beach we hit our favorite beachside bar/restaurant for a casual dinner and then I took the kids to a cute little boat-themed playground nearby while Jay went to get the car. Needless to say, both kids were sound asleep within 30 seconds of getting out of the shower tonight.

I suspect their parents won't be that far behind either.

5 comments:

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Hope all is well with Maya---going to any kind of appointment with kids is no fun at all. Glad you had a great day at the beach. Up here, we're lucky when the water is 65 or 70! Only the tidal pools get close to bath water.

Robin said...

I just checked - the current surface water temp in the Eastern Mediterranean is 28.6 degrees - 84.5 Fahrenheit! Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love a good day at the beach. It's nice to slow down for a good day of fun. I hope everything with your daughter is well, wishing you the best...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderfully peaceful day. We enjoyed that movie as well.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

We've spent the ENTIRE summer screwing around with #2 and school; I so know your pain and frustration.

If you need to get it out incoherently before you can blog about it, holler. I'll listen/read. We can commiserate, although I am confident our problems are VERY different.

Hang in there!!!! It's hard, but if we don't fight for our kids, who will?